one

chapter one: blissfully unaware6850 words

6850 words

When the world ended, it didn't go out with a bang or a great big burst of light. It went out without anyone knowing. It went out right under everyone's noses. Like a damn candle or something.

Lindsey wiped her hands on the rag hanging on the pole of her tent. She'd been a nurse once, still rifling over textbooks and case files for her master's degree. How pointless that all seemed now. What good did one piece of paper do when the entire world had crawled up from the ground trying to eat her alive? She'd kill for just another evening where she was confined to her office at the hospital, pouring over chapters and chapters of the human anatomy rather than sitting on the top of an rv, a rifle in her hand that she'd have to use in the off-chance a walker wandered just a bit too close to their camp.

With her hands at least a little bit cleaner than before, Lindsey trekked over to the group. Carl, visibly happy to see his aunt joining the circle, stood to sit next to her. He bumped her shoulder, making her smile.

When it all went to shit, Lori was the first person she called. The phone lines were still up and, keeping Lori and Lindsey connected until the moment she stepped into her sister's house. They waited there a week, maybe more but then they knew they had to leave. Rick was in the hospital, recovering from a gunshot wound. Lori could never leave her husband but then the police reports filed through the radio. The hospital had been overrun, no survivors to be found. Shane knocked on their door, offering help and Lori took it.

And since then it had just been the group.

Lindsey put her hand on Carl's temple, pulling his head over to her so she could kiss his forehead. He let her but then tried to shrug her affection off. He was all grown up now, he kept telling her. She'd shake her head and ruffle his hair, telling him he had a few years left in him before he could escape her kisses. She tickled her fingers right around his ear, making him laugh out loud.

Through his giggles, static emerged. The radio, which they almost always left on, crackled to life on the tree stump.

"Hello. Hello. Can anybody hear my voice?"

Amy, who had been keeping herself busy by collecting firewood, dropping the bundle to the ground to race towards the radio. Dale jumped up from his lawn chair to help as the ground all turned their attention to the only outside voice they'd heard in a long time come through the speakers. Amy grabbed the receiver, trying to contact the man. The man asked if Amy could hear him to which she replied the affirmative but as he kept talking it became obvious he couldn't hear her even though she could hear him.

"If anybody reads, please respond. Broadcasting on the Emergency channel. Will be approaching Atlanta on highway 85. If anybody reads, please respond."

Lindsey shook her head. Atlanta was a death trap and he was heading right for it. Amy cursed at the lack of response from the man.

"He couldn't hear me," she directed up at Dale at her side. "I couldn't warn him."