sixteen

chapter sixteen: i give it to you4807 words

4807 words

Randall was healed fully and with the clearance of Hershel and a second opinion from Lin, it was time to make a decision. Lin stood with her arms crossed over her chest, watching the car with Rick, Shane and Randall in it disappear. The entire camp didn't see them off but Lin wanted to, sending Rick words of caution and a hug for Lori. Lin expected Lori to be there but with Lori's dislike of Rick's continuous hero streak, she imagined that she just didn't want to think about her husband going back out there.

Daryl had either slept in or left early because Lin didn't see him moving about in his little area. She knew that he moved all the way out there to avoid people but all this walking was tiring her out. She wished that he'd just come back to the group, so she didn't worry about him as much. He could hold his own, he'd proved that, but she still worried. She worried about everyone, that was just her thing. She knew that Lori and Maggie were in the house, still tending to Beth. Lin felt awful that she wasn't able to help when Beth first went under. She had to make it up to the blonde, somehow.

Lori smiled at Lin as she opened the door, the platter of Beth's food in her hands. Lin followed her, reaching around her sister to try to snatch one of the cucumber slices on the plate but Lori shoved her over with her hip, stating that the food was Beth's.

"Knock, knock," Lori said, pushing the wood door open. Beth rolled over from where she'd had her back to the door, sitting up on her bed. "How about this, you, uh, you eat up all your food, we'll get you up and out of here and go take a walk. What do you say?" Lori noticed the silence Beth was still in, hoping that some fresh air would help her. Lin chipped in next, seeing where Lori was taking this. It was giving Beth incentive, something she was desperately lacking.

"It's not too hot out either. I just came in from outside, some of the trees are starting to turn colors."

Beth didn't speak at first, didn't even make the effort to look at either of them. "You're pregnant. How could you do that?"

Lin's eyes snapped to Lori.

"Uh, I don't really have a choice." Lori did have a choice and she made it when she threw up all those pills.

"You think it'll make a difference?"

"Of course it will," Lori said without uncertainty. It was something she had to believe now. She couldn't give herself the option of thinking that this baby wasn't going to make some kind of difference. "You eat something."

Lori reached for Lin's hand and pulled her out the door with her. They left Beth with the food, hoping that she'd eat at least something. She hadn't eaten in what was probably at least a day or two. She hadn't been speaking any more than what she just did as well.

"Give me your professional opinion, Lin. Do you think she'll be okay?" Lori only ever asked Lin for her professional medical opinion when it was a somewhat emergency. She'd asked her for help when Carl had a fever in elementary school or when she'd thought she had mono but it was just a really bad cold.