four

chapter four: made it bearable5946 words

5946 words

Lin wiped the sweat off her forehead. Anything she could do to keep busy right now. She'd thrown back some leftover fish and water, hugging Lori and heading for the hills to check the graves Jim had dug. Andrea hadn't spoken or moved since the attack. The guys gathered all the walker bodies and burned them. She huffed, counting the holes one more time. There were enough. All they needed were the bodies.

She trekked back to the camp, keeping completely silent because the moment Shane knew she left on her own he'd chew her head off. She flinched in time with Daryl dropping the end of a pickaxe through a walker skull. The smell of the burning bodies was enough to make her eyes water.

How had something so good turned to shit so quickly? They had a happy camp, happy families and somewhat okay lived here. Now? She wasn't so sure.

"You alright?" It was Dale, the kind soul he was. Lin nodded, trying to smile at least for him.

"I don't think I'm ever going on a run ever again." She said it as a joke but the longer she spoke the more Dale believed it to be truth. She reached up and rubbed her hand across the back of her neck. Whether she did it on purpose or not it drew his attention to the purple and blue bruises on her neck, very obvious handprints.

Rick walked to Lin's side, wishing he hadn't let her come with them. Lori had given him a hard enough time the moment she got him alone. Lin was her baby sister and he'd let her get hurt.

"She still won't move?" He asked, head tilting towards Andrea. Dale shook his head.

"She won't even talk to us." Lori reached out and clasped her hand around Lin's, pulling her down to sit next to her. "She's been there all night. What do we do?"

"Can't just leave Amy like that," Shane pointed out. "We need to deal with it. Same as the others." Lin looked away, her eyes shutting and Lori brought her sister's face into her shoulder. Behind her Rick nodded, setting off in Andrea's direction.

"I'll tell her how it is." Rick crossed the camp, crouching slowly beside the grieving woman. Andrea whipped around, her gun cocking right in his face. Lin's face jerked up at the sound.

"I know how the safety works."

Rick nodded slow, cautious and began to rise back up to full height. He backed away slowly, the camp all standing behind him. Lin couldn't imagine if it had been Lori, how she would have reacted. She didn't even want to think about it. She stayed sitting on the cushion, her hand on her neck.

"Ya'll can't be serious." Lin looked up at Daryl. "Let that girl hamstring us? The dead girl's a time bomb." He spoke as if he wasn't preaching to the choir.

"What do you suggest?" Rick asked him. Daryl stepped up to the sheriff.

"Take the shot," he stated like it was obvious. "Clean, in the brain from here." He put his fingers up against his left temple. "Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."