twenty six

chapter twenty six: home sweet home3540 words

3540 words

Morning came too soon as always. Daryl woke with the sun, the beginning streaks of the new day falling upon his closed eyelids. He was the first to wake too. He turned his head over to the bus, where Rick was supposed to be, and through his squinted gaze spotted the sleeping form of the sheriff up on the windows.

Lin shifted beside him, the poncho falling off his shoulders. He stood slowly as to not wake her up, draping the fabric back over her and under her head to prop it up in his absence. The fences were still standing, the sparse walker or two pushed against it. He didn't doubt that they would be secure enough for the night, but he was still cautious. He had to be.

Lin woke up not long at all after that. Daryl was still gone, something that had her perking her head up to look around the yard. When she looked closer, she found him off in the furthest corner, right up against the fence. She didn't worry as much as she thought she would at first because she trusted that he knew what to do if anything happened, and also probably because she was right on the break of sleep.

Everyone was still asleep but waking slowly, the constant cycle of running still ingrained into them. Lin brought Daryl's poncho back around her shoulders, lying back down onto the grass to try to go back to sleep if she could. Rick wasn't even awake yet so they still had time. It probably wasn't a lot but twenty more minutes of sleep was better than nothing. So Lin pull her tangled hair under the poncho and tried to go back to sleep. She was able to for a while, succumbing to the peaceful grasp of unconsciousness. It was there that she could just be. She didn't have to worry about survival, about how every day wasn't a promise. She enjoyed her sleep when she could get it. And she found that she enjoyed it far more when Daryl was there to share it with her. She didn't have to wait long for him to come back either. Just a minute, maybe two of her lying down and trying to sleep when the blanket shifted and a hand pushed through the hair around her face.

"Where'd you go?" She asked him, her eyes opening to look up at the archer. The sun gleamed off his lengthening hair, the brown in the locks turned golden by the morning light. He was handsome, in a way that Lin was incredibly not used to. He looked like a natural in the woods, backdropped by the flourishing greens and browns of the Georgia forest. When things were good, when it was just a hunting trip or a quick scan of the area that he for some reason wanted her to come along with, he looked damn good out there. But when it was months and months of being without anything more than one night of shelter, she hated that he had no choice but to be good at what he did.

He brought his hand back from her hair, dropped it down to the grass so he could prop himself up. "Had to take a piss," he answered which was so Daryl Dixon that it made her smile. He huffed at the expression, shaking his head. "Didn't think it was that special or anythin'."

Lin sat up and kissed at his cheek. "It's not don't worry."

His brow lifted, fingers moving to lay over hers. "Then why are ya smilin' like that?"