twelve

chapter twelve: sophia3296 words

3296 words

"Guys, the barn is full of walkers." Lin choked on the piece of egg she'd been chewing. Not for lack of already knowing, she'd walked close enough when Daryl had knocked out to hear the groans, but for the fact that Glenn had stood up in the middle of breakfast and just told everyone like it was nothing. Shit, she thought. Shit shit shit.

She knew Glenn wanted to tell everyone, that the secret was wearing him away from the inside out. But like this? Without a rational plan? It was a recipe for disaster, for group-wide panic.

Shane was the first one up, tearing across the field to the barn, stopping in front of it. Daryl's head turned to Lin as he stood. She almost stopped him, his stitches nowhere near being close enough to fully healed. But he followed the rest of the group to the barn, their fear visible in the way they peeked through the boards and flinched away whenever a walker got too close.

Lin had been right. Shane was mad, furious at the threat sitting right under their noses. He rubbed his hand against the back of his head, against the stubble of his closely cropped hair.

"You cannot tell me you're alright with this." He stalked over to Rick, shoulder checking him as he passed, you know, like a 12 year old.

"No, I'm not, but we're guests here. This isn't our land," Rick answered, jaw set firm in his beliefs.

"God, this is our lives!" Shane yelled.

"Lower your voice," Glenn warned. Lin eyed the barn. It looked secure, rigged up to hold walker inside with no chance of them getting out. How long had they been here, sleeping so close to them? It made her stomach churn, thinking of Carl in his tent with these things roaming the enclosed space.

"We can't just sweep this under the rug," Andrea tried to reason. Lin had noticed, in the very little time between now and when she'd gotten back from her advanced lesson, that Andrea seemed to hang off of Shane's arm, worshipping each word that dripped from his flapping lips.

"It ain't right. Not remotely."

Lin shook her head, sharing a worried look with the hunter beside her.

"Okay, we've either got to go in there, we've got to make things right or we've just got to go. Now we have been talking about Fort Benning for a long time." If Lin heard that place leave Shane's mouth one more time she was going to shove one of Daryl's hunting bolts into her ears.

"We can't go," Rick told him yet again. He was more a broken record now than a man.

"Why, Rick? Why?"

"Because Sophia is still out there," Lin spoke up.

"Okay," Shane sighed, rubbing his hands down his face. "Okay, I think it's time that we all start to just consider the other possibility." Straight fire ran through Lin's veins. Pure, unyielding, white hot rage.