fourteen

chapter fourteen: worse on the good ones5697 words

5697 words

"What the hell happened?" Daryl asked her as Lin leaned against the firewood. She inhaled and shut her eyes, tilting her head back.

"Don't laugh but we hit a walker driving to find Rick and Hershel. Think Lori and I would be the only ones that would hit the one moving thing on an entire empty road." She wrapped her arms around herself.

Daryl sighed but now that he knew that she was okay, he had to laugh.

"Literally what did I just say Dixon?"

"I ain't sorry. You two were stupid enough to go out alone."

Lin still had her eyes shut, leaned back against the wood shed. "Only cause your lazy ass wouldn't help."

Daryl eyed her warily from where he sat. "They check ya for a concussion?"

Lin nodded. "Yup. I'm just tired as hell Dixon. I'm so tired."

Daryl poked at the low fire. "Then why'd ya come over here? Just to follow up on a joke?" It was a joke when she had first said it but now it seemed the opposite. He could tell just by looking at her that she was on the cusp of sleep, barely keeping herself up to talk to him.

Lin's eyes fluttered open, her head tipping forward to wake herself up. "Call it girly bullshit but I'm not letting you be alone tonight." She meant what she said. She wasn't going to let him be alone tonight, no matter how stubborn he was going to be about it. She expected a little bit of resistance from him, considering that he'd only drug his tent over and not hers.

"Ya should be with Carol, comfortin' her." Daryl shook his head, leaning back on his hands in the dirt. From across the way Lin spotted the squirrels he'd trapped strung up for food in the morning. They'd eat good in the morning, or at least he would.

"Carol wouldn't want me there, not right now. Dale and I were the ones that gave Shane the guns. We went into the woods with the guns and Shane came back with them."

"Ya left with the guns?" Daryl asked incredulously. Lin nodded. "Why?"

"Dale asked me to help him. He wanted to get the guns out of camp, keep them away from Shane." She touched the butterfly bandages over her eyebrow, pulling a little bit at them. "I took him out into the swamps you'd mentioned, found a place to hide them. But Shane followed us there. He threatened Dale and he threatened me until Dale handed them over. We tried to get back in time but we were too late."

"Ain't your fault."

"You're right. It's Shane's." She shook her head, tilting it forward to look at her hands. "Should have put a bullet in his head when we had the chance."

"Thought ya were old friends?"

Lin remembered a time when they were friends, laughing and drinking with Lori and Rick over the Friday night football game. "Not anymore."