six

chapter six: the unknown4853 words

4853 words

Lin woke up the next morning with a jolt. Daryl had knocked one of the empty bottles of wine onto the floor and the resounding clank it made had her nearly jump out of her skin. Her hand went to her hip, where she usually kept her gun, but she touched an empty space, having taken it off and left it off.

"Sorry," He muttered, rifling through his bag for a second. She had no idea what he was looking for but she didn't really care. She sat up, stretching her sore neck and whining at the headache she had. "Little hangover, sunshine?"

Lin pointed an accusatory finger at him. "Don't you even start." She rubbed her eyes. "How are you not this hungover?"

"Practice," Daryl answered. He opened the door and looked out either way in the hall. "They've got breakfast cookin', come on." Lin stood very slowly to walk out. Yeah she'd been drunk. Yeah she'd been hungover. It was nothing new but it still hurt like a bitch.

They walked out to a quiet breakfast table, people just sitting together and enjoying a meal. Lin walked up to Lori, leaning down to hug her. Lori kissed her temple and then let her stand.

T-Dog was the one cooking. "Eggs," he greeted the newcomers with the menu. "Powdered, but I do 'em good." Glenn moaned out in utter pain. "I bet you can't tell. Protein helps the hangover."

Lin sat next to Dale, regarding his smile with one of hers. "Carbs help more but I will take some anyway," she said, reaching for plate for T-Dog to dish some eggs out onto. Jacqui crouched by the young Asian man, rubbing his shoulders as he complained about his hangover. It was probably his first time getting drunk which made it all the more funnier to witness. Lori slid a bottle of pain pills Lin's way and she took them graciously.

"So how did it go?" Dale asked. Lin looked his way, a fork-full of eggs in her hand. She caught his meaning and quickly chewed.

"It went fine, I'll have you know. He's not awful." Dale just smiled again and shook his head.

Shane was next from the lineup, already dressed and showered. He greeted Rick as he walked over to the coffee machine.

"Feel as bad as I do?" Rick asked his buddy.

"Worse."

T-Dog looked up from the counter to see three bloody scratches on Shane's neck. "The hell happened to you?" Shane didn't say anything and T-Dog thought he must not have understood what he meant. "Your neck?"

Lin found the scratches easy. They looked painful and fresh.

"I must have done it in my sleep." That was bullshit and Lin could smell it from miles away.

"Never seen you do that before," Rick noticed. Lin bit into her eggs probably just a bit too hard.

"Me neither. Not like me at all." And he looked right up at Lori, keeping his eyes there like no one could see him. Lin felt her blood boil. Jenner came out next, greeting everyone with a half-hearted 'morning.'