twenty three

chapter twenty three: the time in between6315 words

6315 words

Winter was right around the corner and no one was ready for it. The nights were getting colder, the wind carrying in the tides of much harsher months. Georgia weather was one hell of a wildcard and as Lin helped her sister cross a shallow stream, she shivered hard at the breeze that blew past.

Lori set a hand on her stomach as she got her footing. She'd started showing quickly, her skinny frame rearranging to accommodate for her new baby. Lin had been giving her all the food she could, promising that she'd eaten beforehand when she knew she hadn't. She was a nurse, she knew how much nutrients a baby needed, especially in the first few months. Lori needed protein, the prenatal vitamins she'd managed to save from the farm. She also needed a whole lot more bathroom breaks than anyone else. Rick had everyone understand that they weren't to go anywhere alone so Lori pulled her sister into the woods to keep watch. Lin didn't mind though she knew that not everyone wanted to stop every hour like Lori had to. It was too much stop and go, too much hurry up and wait.

Somehow, it had gotten out that Lori had been with Shane. Lin thought that they didn't really hide it very well because both her and Dale had found out but she didn't expect everyone to know. But they did and in that first month that they all found out, Lori couldn't ignore every judging glance that was thrown her way. They weren't bad people, they were just scared. Lin squeezed Lori's hand as they got back to the highway. The caravan was waiting there for them and began to move back to the cars once they saw the two sisters were back.

They were looking for somewhere, anywhere to stay for the night. The cars were too cramped to fit everyone so they'd been staying in houses wherever they could. It never lasted though and that part hurt the most.

Daryl met Lin's eyes as she walked over to his bike. She'd taken to riding with him, enjoying the wind in her hair as he drove. He also wasn't that bad to hold onto either, even if she only ever clasped her hands around the zippers of his jacket. He was also really warm, like radiating heat in the dead of winter kind of warm. She kept forgetting that she didn't have a jacket because he was so stupidly warm. Lin hoped that they'd find one somewhere, because Dale's stained button-up was getting more thread-bare as the days wore on. She couldn't give it up though, even if she did still carry his watch with her.

Lin looked up from Daryl's back as she felt him turn. There was a house off the road, a few hundred meters into the trees. It looked like there was a fence too but she wasn't sure. Rick parked the red van a little into the woods, the hood up against the tree. It looked like he'd crashed it. It was a smart plan, kept anyone from suspecting they were there.

Rick, T-Dog, and Daryl took the job of clearing the house, the three moving quickly and quietly through it. When it was clear, Daryl leaned out the window of the second floor, pointing down at the strip of garden beneath him. Lin nodded on the seat of his bike, twisting her wrist to ease the bike forward. She parked it there, where he'd pointed to and by the time she was ready to shut it off, he was there to do it for her.