five

chapter five: why don't we get drunk4191 words

4191 words

The doors were open. Rick led the group through them. Lin kept Carl behind her until she crossed the threshold. The inside was big, quiet and dark as anything. Every hello Rick called out echoed back to him, an answer coming from the abyss.

"Hello?"

A gun cocked, one that was not their own. Glenn yanked his up, clenching his teeth together in fear. Lin stood her ground but couldn't control the way her breathing picked up, or the way the hair on her arms stood on end.

A man stood in the corner somewhere, wielding a gun pointed right at them. His hair was messy, unkempt. The exhaustion was plain on his face.

"Anybody infected?" He asked loud. Lin cast her eyes to the door.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it."

The man stepped more around the corner, more into the light so they could see who he was.

"Why are you here? What do you want?"

Rick picked his sentence carefully. "A chance."

The man with the gun kept coming towards them. Rick had lowered his but Lin still felt nervous about this.

"That's asking an awful lot these days."

Rick cocked his head to the side. "I know." The man looked out at the group, the mismatched gaggle of people. He looked at each scared and sweaty face, the mothers holding their children.

"You all submit to a blood test. That's the price of admission." Lin sighed in relief.

"We can do that."

The man dropped his gun. "You got stuff to bring in, you do it now," he pointed at the open door to their cars just beyond. "Once this door closes, it stays closed."

Glenn, Daryl, Shane and Rick all moved to the doors. Lin caught Rick's sleeve before he could step out.

"There's a med kit in my bag in the rv. There's not much left but it might help."

Rick nodded and when he returned he had it slung over one of his arms. T-Dog and Dale shut the doors behind the four. The man from before swiped a key card next to the door. He must have worked here, got sealed in when everything fell apart.

"Vi, seal the main entrance. Kill the power up here." Lin watched the door slide shut. They'd done it. They were safe. Dale touched her arm to get her attention.

"You okay?" She knew he meant after everything that had happened, not just the past hour or so.

"Peachy, you?"

The man, a Dr. Edwin Jenner, led them to a service elevator, one big enough to fit the entire group into. It was an awkward squeeze but a necessary one. Lin volunteered to stand near the back, letting herself get pressed up on the wall the more they filed into the space. Daryl walked right back to the corner, where he felt the most comfortable. Jenner pressed the level button and the elevator began to move.