fifteen

chapter fourteen: ask daryl4488 words

4488 words

The week of peace was what Lin called it. It was a week where no one left the camp and their only worry inside was how much Randall reasonably ate when he was awake. He was blindfolded wherever they kept him that day, not wanting to risk him being able to place the farm on a map. Lin didn't really know what to think when it came to the kid. She understood he was a threat but he was also a kid. His group left him for dead was the consensus of the three men that went out into the town and returned with another member. If his group left him for dead then no one was coming for him. But if the group just happened to stumble upon the farm and they still had the kid, that was war plain and simple.

Lin had done more practice with her knife and had been able to at least sink the knife into the tree a few times. It wasn't a perfect shot by any means but it was possibly the difference between her living and her getting bit when it came down to it. She'd also asked Hershel if she could look in the barns he had on the property. After the walker incident, he asked her if she'd just look anyway and with a little laugh she told him that she wouldn't, she wasn't a total savage. She wasn't really sure what she was looking for but she just wanted something to do besides Daryl's laundry.

Maggie was the one that found her, leaning her hip against the open door of the barn with her arms crossed over her chest.

"You looking for gold in here?" She asked with a hint of a smile.

"I'll have you know I did ask permission to be in here," she pointed at Maggie, returning her smile. "I'm just bored. I was hopefully to find like a board game of something. A pack of cards would suffice even."

"And you thought that you would find those in the barn?"

Lin shrugged. "Never know what you find now a days."

Maggie paused for a second, just looking at Lin and the barn. "When I was Beth's age I had an archery phase. I bugged my dad until he went out and found me a bow. It should be in that closet but the string's all worn out by now. If you can restring it it's all yours." Lin reached for the closet door, opening it and spotting the bow leaning up against the corner. It was a beautiful bow, probably handmade judging by the stain of the wood. And she was indeed correct in the fact that the string was worn out. It was loose, just hanging between either side of the curved wood. Lin didn't have a single clue about restringing this thing but it was a damn beauty and she wasn't going to turn this down.

Lin took it between her hands, running the limp string between her index and thumb. She pulled it until all the slack was gone, laughing at how far she had to stretch it. Yeah, this bow needed some work. And it wasn't like google was still a thing.

"I'll try my best but I don't have the slightest knowledge about bows." She held it in her hand, liking the weight of it in her palm. Maggie smiled a bit wider.