three

chapter three: just there for backup7086 words

7086 words

Lin stepped off the catwalk, kneeling to begin to collect Dale's tools. The clinking of metal on metal acted as the only noise between the five group members, save for Daryl's heavy breathing. Lindsey really didn't blame him for his reaction. Daryl whipped around to aim his crossbow at T-Dog's head. Lin jumped to her feet, her hand on her gun. Rick pulled his pistol, aiming the barrel right at Daryl's temple.

From where Lin was standing she could see Daryl's hands shaking. T-Dog refused to move, staring down the crossbow.

"I won't hesitate," Rick's voice was hard, iron slicing in the hot air. "I don't care if every walker in the city hears it."

Daryl scrunched his face up, hiding more of those tears he didn't want anyone to see. He held the crossbow up at T-Dog, his arms flexing hard and then he lowered it. Lin bent down to scoop up the last of the tools, tossing them all back into the red tool bag.

"You got a do-rag or something?" T-Dog didn't question why Daryl needed it. He reached into his side pants pocket and pulled out the blue square of satin fabric. When his hair had been longer it had been a lot more helpful but, with the help of the other guys, he'd shaved it down. Daryl snatched the rag from him, shaking it out of the fold. Lin reached for the carabiner on her hip, clipping the bag to her jeans.

Daryl laid the cloth down in front of his brother's hand, reaching for the pinkie finger to set it on the fabric.

"I guess the saw blade was too dull for the handcuffs," Daryl lifted the severed hand and Lin had to look away to make sure she didn't throw up on sight. "Ain't that a bitch." He wrapped the hand neatly, rising and looking at the other group members for someone to offer their bag to the hand. He spotted the bag on Lin's hip but she stepped back, silently telling him there was no way he was putting that in the tool bag. So he waved Glenn over instead, tugging his bag open to shove Merle's hand in. Glenn didn't look happy at all, shutting his eyes and waiting until Daryl was done. Lin shuffled over to the saw, bending to pick it up too.

"He must have used a tourniquet, maybe his belt." Daryl pointed to the scene of the action. "Be much more blood if he didn't." He was right, there was a very limited amount of blood for severing off a human hand. Beside the dirty saw was a speckle of blood, one that trailed across the expanse of the roof. Merle had left, his bleeding stump acting as the only beacon that would possibly take the group to their missing member. Lin cleared her throat, trying to rid it of the lump that had formed at just the thought of Merle cutting his own hand off. She couldn't imagine the pain he'd been in while doing it.

Daryl followed the blood to an open door at the other side of the roof, leading the group on the mission to find his brother.

T-Dog let Lin walk ahead of him, bringing up the back with the bolt cutters. It was a blunt weapon but it was a weapon none the less.