twenty five

chapter twenty five: finally3509 words

3509 words

Daryl kissed like a dream. He took his time with it but Lin could feel the intention, the urgency in the way his tongue moved with hers, the way his fingers pressed into her skin like she'd vanish if he didn't hold on tight enough. Lin's lungs ached for air but she wasn't going to give up a moment of this, not one moment of Daryl touching her, holding her. She told herself that if died in this exact moment, she'd die a happy woman.

He was the one to pull away, a smile tracing those stupidly wonderful lips as she chased them with hers.

"Hey angel," she whispered between them. Daryl looked her in the eye, let his thumb move along the too dark bag under her eye to let her know that she had his full attention. She pretty much always did. "Anyone ever tell you you're a really good kisser?"

"Nah."

Lin brought her hand up to cover his. "Was that your first?" She was a little scared to ask it because no man kissed like that the first time. But she also knew a little bit about his life before all this, emphasis on little, and any kind of long term relationship was conveniently left out. He shook his head, momentarily refusing to use his voice to answer her. Lin got the message and it made her chest ache for the man sitting beside her. She squeezed his hand and nodded against it. She hooked her finger under his chin and brought his close again to kiss the frown off his lips. He responded in kind, taking more to the kissing than she thought he would. She wasn't complaining at all of course, it just surprised her. But then again, Daryl surprised her almost every day, usually in very good ways.

The kiss was just pushing onto something more when there was a knock on the back of the bus. The two jumped apart at the sudden interruption and when they heard the gentle but teasing laugh that followed, they came to realize that it was just Carol. Carol knew Daryl just about as good as Lin did. The two had been the facilitators of his transformation and in turn he opened up to them.

"Brought our archer some dinner," she rounded the bus to the edge they were sitting on. The emphasis she put on our had Daryl flushing despite himself. Carol leaned up on her tip toes to hand it to them and Lin took it for Daryl as he began to stand. Carol expected that the couple wanted to be left alone but Lin set the bowl to the side and helped Daryl get her up onto the top of the bus with the both of them.

"No reason to send you back when there's plenty of space here," Lin mused as Daryl began to inhale the meat Carol had brought. She looked between the two of them with a knowing smile as Lin settled back down onto the bus, noticeably a little further away from Daryl than she was before but still within reach.

"Don't let me ruin the moment," she added, not willingly to give up the opportunity to tease the couple. "Just thought I'd bring what little there was left because if you don't eat now you won't eat at all." Daryl grunted around the tip of his finger.