twenty eight

chapter twenty eight: goodnight my loves7881 words

7881 words

"I want to find a prosthetic for Hershel. It'll help him get around faster." Daryl wasn't sure if Lin knew she was awake. She was talking to him as if she was but the way she snuggled up against him, her nose practically in his clavicle, made him think she existed in that in between stage. "Can't have him hopping around on one foot." She chuckled once, falling silent against him. It was still early morning judging by where the shadows the sun cast lie on the cell block wall. They lied beneath the windows, shaded by the wall from the waking light.

Daryl pulled at the strings of his sleeveless shirt she wore to sleep. He nodded against her head, essentially just letting her ramble herself to sleep again. He hoped that she'd go back to sleep because he was tired too and there was still plenty of work to be done. If they could just avoid it a little longer, lie here a few moments more, then he could kiss her a few more times before they had to return to the real world.

"Could teach ya how to fight today, sunshine," he kept his voice low. The last thing he wanted was the whole block on his ass because he spoke just a little too loud and woke everyone up. Lord knows they all slept light as it was.

"Fight?" Lin mumbled, her eyes still shut. "I know how to fight."

Daryl scoffed into her hair. "Ya fight with weapons. Gonna teach ya how to punch."

"Gonna let me punch you? I've wanted to a couple times." His silence prompted her to pop her eyes open to look up at him. "Kidding," she added quickly, hoping that she hadn't dug a little too deep there. His lips pursed and when she looked carefully, she saw that he was trying to stop himself from smiling. She leaned up to close to space between them, pecking his pursed lips quickly. "We can go out now if you'd like. The catwalk is closed off, looks out on the whole yard."

"Nah. Better off just goin' in the yard. Better if I knock ya on your ass in the dirt." That woke Lin up a bit more, making her press her hand into the mattress so she could prop herself up enough to look at him.

"Knock me on my ass huh? You're on Dixon." Lin sat up all the way then sighed. "I need to stay with Hershel for a while as he heals." That was her job and though she would have gladly spent each and every day out frolicking with Daryl, she had a job to do and she owed it to Hershel to get him up to as close to full health as she could. He would do the same if it was her lying there. Anyone would.

Lin turned back to Daryl, a look of guilt painted across her face. "I may have to take a raincheck today, angel." The archer tucked a hand behind his head, the other creeping over to rest over hers. He squeezed it and she smiled.

Lin tended to Hershel, sitting at his side as he lay on the bunk. He'd thanked her in much the same way that he had thanked Rick, slowly and silently, as Lin expected with his recovery. At Hershel's approval, when she'd held a mirror at the end of the bunk for his to see his leg, she'd need to do stitches in the coming days. Any bleeding had stopped, quelled by the clean bandages, but in order for it to fully heal and close as they desired, she needed to stitch it up. In the supplies Carl had brought, there were a few bottles on heavy painkiller, enough to knock Hershel out and keep him out. Anesthetic was a rarity, something Lin wasn't quite confident enough to administer on her own. Hershel assured her that the painkillers Carl had found would be more than enough for him, even if Lin had the sneaking suspicion he was lowballing his dose.