005 ⋆ family matters

ship: none

Dabi could handle playing The Good Boy™ for a couple of years, but why did he need to get a job? "We have money," he argued. "Yes, we have money because we have jobs," Enji countered and subsequently boasted on how everyone else in the family worked some type of job.

"Shoto and I are full-time heroes while Fuyumi teaches and Natsuo's in college."

"Technically, college students don't earn money, so it's not--"

"You're going to work," Enji interrupts, flicking Dabi's forehead. He would've scorched him for it, too if he wasn't on probation.

So Dabi walks the streets in search of a job, but not many people are willing to hire an ex-villain with a track record of arson under his belt. Except for this one blind old lady who owned a small cat café.

Okay maybe she wasn't blind, but her prescription frames we're clearly outdated since she read through Dabi's criminal record and still chose to hire him. It was either that, or she was just batshit crazy. Dabi wasn't going to question it, though--he needed the job (apparently).

He's grown accustomed to finding cat hair stuck to his clothes like every day for the past week, but what he'd never get used to was the silly frilly apron he was forced to wear as part of his uniform--disgustingly pink with bows tied at the shoulders.

Shoto loved it, though.

"Nice apron you got there." His tone was condescending and his stare was just as cold as the soba he slurped from between his chopsticks. Dabi wanted to toast the little shithead right then and there, but lo, he was The Good Boy™ now.

A good boy still on probation.

Shoto frequented the café more than Dabi would like, but he quickly realized it's because his younger sibling actually really loves cats.

And making fun of him while he worked, but mostly the cats.

Ironically, he happened upon a stray on his way home, and Soba the stray became part of the café family the very next day. The stray also won over Shoto just as fast. As Dabi watched the two pal around, he felt something warm inside him that wasn't because of his quirk for once.

For once in a very long time, he cracked a genuine smile--a haughty quirk of his lips. He supposed to could get used to picking kitty poop and Shoto's teasing for a couple of years...