036 ⋆ we all bleed the same color red 🍋🖤

ship: kiribaku, bakudeku
notes: this is a cheating fic ahaha. there's no explicit smut per se, but I put a lemon for implied/refed smut anyway

Eijiro and Katsuki have been together for seven years.

They're engaged now, been so for four of those seven years with no wedding date in sight. Kirishima doesn't mind it, nor does he think about it too much; they're busy, he gets it. On top of that, weddings take a lot of time, planning, and money, and they don't exactly have it all together in the finance department...

And it's not that he and Katsuki couldn't afford a wedding—they both had steady jobs with decent salaries, but the last they spoke of wedding plans, Katsuki's ideas were a bit over the top, to say the least.

Regardless, Eijiro is simply happy they're still together. They already treat each other as husbands', fitting each other into their respective schedules whether it's a quick, but tender smooch at the breakfast table, or a long night of passionate love making on their days off.

But as of late, his Katsuki's been acting... off, and usually Eijiro doesn't question Kats' actions, but he's noticed Katsuki being a bit more eager to pick up his phone.

And yeah, it's the most mundane thing for him to notice about Katsuki, but his fiancé's never exactly been the social type. It's... odd. Eijiro doesn't bother him about it, however; pointing it out will lead to a pointless argument, and he does not have the energy to deal with that.

So he ignores it, ignores how Katsuki leaves his phone beside him on the counter while he cooks, answers it almost as soon as it vibrates (and nearly burning their meal because of the distraction); ignores the light of his phone out the corner of Eijiro's eye when they're spending time together, snuggled up on the couch watching a movie or their favorite TV series; sneaking it out when they're out for lunch or dinner, and even in bed when Eijiro's trying to be intimate with him.

Okay, maybe it is a problem. An annoying one at that, so Eijiro calls him out on it:

"You know, you've been on your phone a lot recently," says Eijiro as he stabs into the katsudon Katsuki made for dinner tonight. Predictably, Kats looks up from his phone and furrows his brows.

"But I haven't?"

Eijiro swallows his forkful before answering. "Babe... have you not noticed how much time you spend on the phone these days? It's like you're glued to it."

Eijiro quirks his fingers at him. "Here, hand me your phone. I can prove it to you."

Katsuki hesitates seemingly, eyeing him weirdly before swiping across the screen a couple of times. When he hands it to Eijiro, it's on the home screen. Eijiro bites off another mouthful of meat as he navigates through Kats' settings. "See," he says as he flips the phone toward his fiancé. "Messages and Facetime went up thirty percent."

Katsuki's phone chimes then, a notification badge popping up on-screen, but before Eijiro has a chance to read it, Katsuki rips the phone from his grasp and grumbles something.

Ok, weird, Eijiro thinks. He swallows again. "Did something happen?"

Katsuki types something in his phone before he sets it face down. "Deku's coming back to Japan," he answers, nonchalant.

"Deku?" echoes Eijiro, and then he remembers. "Oh, Midoriya? Wow, I didn't know he's coming back!"

Back in high school, way back when they were only first-years, Midoriya had moved out of Japan after his step-father passed away. Eijiro guessed it felt hard to stay at U.A. since his step-father just so happened to be a staff member at the school—a history teacher. Midoriya moved sometime before their second year started; they promised to keep in touch, but it's admittedly been a while since Eijiro's seen or heard from him.