021 ⋆ from the tree 🌸

ship: kiribaku

As the sun slowly descends from view from his bedroom window, Katsuki feels the effects of his nonstop working. His back is stiff, eyes strained, and fingers aching from their continuous fixed stretch over his keyboard. On the plus side, he's finished his eighth report out of the twelve he decided to take home with him, and he takes a moment to push his frames atop his head and stretch back against the firm backrest of his chair.

His spine cracks in three places, releasing tension, though a dull ache remains. A sigh escapes his lips, nonetheless, and he curls over his desk again to click onto his next report sheet. The creak of the floor goes unnoticed over his much louder mouse clicks.

"Katsuki?"

Grown used to the voice of his husband over the years, he immediately notes the lack of his usual playful mirth. Katsuki turns to that voice, glasses off, chair groaning under the sudden movement. Eijirou stands in the doorway outlined by the light pouring in from the hall. A brilliant orange burns through their home and brings a glowy highlight to Eijirou's face, weathered with age and scarred from battles that have come to past.

"Eijirou," says Katsuki. His husband strays further into their shared room. Katsuki reaches for him when he draws near enough to wrap his arms around his waist and nuzzle his head into his side. Fingers run precariously through fuzzy blond spikes; Katsuki mewls at the mercy of Eijirou's warm hand. His other pats up the length of Katsuki's arm until his fingers curl under his chin and force him to look up. Katsuki peers at him over a mound of muscle.

"Almost finished?"

"Almost," replies Katsuki. A gentle scratch at the back of his neck has his eyes drooping too low for too long to be considered a blink. Above him, Eijirou hums.

"You should take a break, Katsuki." Katsuki grumbles as his response. Ei sighs. "I mean it. It's getting late and I need help with dinner."

Again, Katsuki grumbles something barely coherent. Eijirou's fingers leave his scalp as punishment, and he whines.

"Katsuki," Eijirou says in a firm tone, one he's only ever heard whenever he's scolding one of their kids. Katsuki immediately tenses, nose wrinkling as he cracks an eye open to confirm his husband's visible irritation.

"Five more minutes," Katsuki pleads softly. "I'll wrap everything up in five minutes."

"No, I need you now." Eijirou frees himself from his husband's grasp and Katsuki sags in defeat. He abides by Eijirou's demand, turning from him briefly to close the lid of his laptop after unplugging his flash drive. Katsuki folds his glasses, returning them to their respective casing, then faces Eijirou again.

The fleeting sun bathes his skin in brassy gold, blurring the fine lines of age Katsuki oftentimes traces his fingers over whilst Eijirou slumbers. Despite the slight scowl plaguing the features he's grown to love over the years, his husband's looks are as enamoring as they were the day he decided this is what he wanted to wake up to every morning for the rest of his life.

"Are you even listening to me?" Eijirou says all too suddenly. It dawns upon him that he's been talking to him for quite some time, and Katsuki folds his lips.

"Yeah, of course," he lies, though he can sense Eijirou's disbelief through his sigh.

"What did I just say, then?"

"Uh..." Katsuki licks through the fold in his lips. "How much you love me?"

"Katsuki... No."

Katsuki feigns dejection. "So, you don't love me?"