006 ⋆ I'll be here 🖤

ship: kiribaku

"I'm only here to establish an alibi."

Kirishima shuts off the tap soon after he said that. He huffs, flipping the top of the electric kettle close and wiping away the excess water with a nearby rag. He plugs it into the wall and searches for the light indicator. Of course it was too far fetched to think Bakugou actually came to see him. Of course.

Kirishima presses the heels of his palms into the edge of the countertop, his eyes narrow slits as he glares a hole into the wall. "Well if you're going to show up at my apartment at two in the morning, you could at least tell me why," he says. He has work in a couple of hours. He didn't expect to be woken up so early with a passive aggressive blond banging on the door to his apartment, tracking mud on his carpet and reeking of summer rain.

Bakugou's rugged voice cuts through the silence. "'S none of your business."

"Whatever," mutters the redhead. He concentrates on the warming kettle; they say a watched pot never boils, but he couldn't stand to look at the blond after that comment. He hears him huff from where he sat on the couch behind him, his tone derisive. "Why? You got someone else here or somethin'?"

"Yes, actually." Kirishima finally makes the effort to glance back at him only to see the blond was already staring at him. His hair was weighed down from the rainfall, clinging to his forehead in miniscule, intricate designs. Droplets of water would fall from the strands and trail down his sullen face. Kirishima moves to get him a towel when the blond speaks up again.

"Then I'll just leave." It was an open-ended threat. Passive, but the statement made the redhead freeze up in surprise. The kettle began to bubble behind him; he could hear it.

"It's raining," Kiri states. Bakugou shrugs. "I'll be fine."

"You'll catch a cold." Bakugou says nothing. He wasn't moving either, so Kirishima felt it safe to assume he wasn't really planning on going anywhere. He sighs and pulls the belt to his robe a little tighter. His feet scuffle against the carpet and slap against the tiled bathroom floor. It was cooler towards the door, but warmer where the heater settled on the floor. The towel rack sat just above that, and the towel he grabbed felt warm to the touch.

The air is still when he returns to the living room, and the blond had removed himself from the couch to stand against the counter, pouring himself a cup. He's found himself a ginger teabag; it wasn't the spiciest he could handle, but he supposed it would satisfy him for now. Kirishima notices he's kicked off his shoes and socks and removed his coat. That's good, he thought. He offers him the towel once he stopped at his side. "It's just Mina," Kiri says, because even if the blond wasn't going to ask him about the person staying here, he had a right to know something. He folds his arms over his chest and leans against the counter, staring out towards the window. "She went clubbing and crashed here."

Bakugou hums, and it's not a bitter hum nor one of contentment. It was an indiscernible noise. The irate sounds of a metal spoon going up against ceramic fill the silent void between them. It stops abruptly soon after, and Kirishima peers over to see the blond set the spoon aside as he stares into the cup's contents. He grumbles, "I fucked up real bad."

"I know," Kirishima says, because what else could he say to him at the moment? It's late. It's two in the morning and he had work in a couple of hours. It's raining heavily outside and Bakugou was here, drenched from head to toe. He won't tell him what happened or why he decided to come here, out of all places, but he was here nonetheless. Kirishima sighs and shuffles closer to him, pressing the side of his head on the blond's dampened shoulder. He's tense, but seems to relax a bit when Kiri adds, "I'll be here."

"I know," Bakugou mumbles. Kirishima knew he'd suffer in the morning when he had to get up for work, but at least for now--with his head on his shoulder and the blond's head rested up against his--this was fine. "Thank you."