WDMD [42]

The day for the Christmas Party finally came and (surprisingly), Carter, Gabe and I made it to that day without even a scratch. The most we got were glares and curses from students, but no-one dared to touch us.

Probably it was because of the deathly looks sent their way. So I stuck to him like a second skin until everything was forgotten.

Carter hardly spent time with us since his lab partner had forced him to join the play, so he always went for rehearsals. It was actually funny seeing Carter dressed up in a dress with a sash around his waist. The thick fake beards they gave him made him look like Sasquatch and when he tried to deepen his voice to sound like a man, I almost fell out of my seat in a fit of laughter.

And somewhere along the line, everyone, including the actors and actresses, was confused as to why the baby Jesus was Snoopy. I think we all knew who was the Mastermind behind that.

After the play, the rest of the party involved teenagers dancing or rather grinding drunkenly against themselves even after the principal had strictly resounded that there should be no alcohol or dirty dances. Teenagers would always be teenagers.

"What's up?" Carter asked, a red cup in hand as he slipped beside me.

I shrugged and sipped the drink in my hand. I scrunched my nose in disgust. Taking alcohol isn't such a good idea.

Carter notices my disgust and hands over his cup to me. "Here."
I stared at the red solo cups within his grasp. "Don't worry, it isn't alcohol," he assured, a small smile at his lips. It didn't quite reach his eyes like normal.

I said my thanks and sipped on the drink, both of us watching the swaying bodies of boys and girls. I thought I would be enjoying this party but it just turned out I didn't want this school's session to just come to an end.

Probably the fact that I wouldn't be seeing Carter anytime soon made me want to go back in time to the very first day we talked.

"What's on your mind?" I asked him, noticing how oddly quiet he was.

"Let's get some fresh air," he said, taking a hold of my hand and without waiting for me to protest, he pulls me along with him out of the hall.

Along the way, I caught a glimpse of Gabe in a corner, using his phone as a girl talked amimatedly to him. It looked like a human being wasn't even in front of his as he just glared angrily at his phone. As if noticing my presence, he looked up and furrowed his eyebrows in confusion when he saw Carter pulling me out.

I just shrugged, waved and continued to let myself be taken out of the hall. Once we were on the hallway which was empty of teens, Carter slowed his fast pace and I fell in step with him, his hand never leaving mine.

"Are you okay?" I was forced to ask at his weird behavior today.

"Mmm," he hummed absent-mindedly with his deep green eyes fixed ahead of him.

I chose not to press further. If he wanted to talk, he'll talk. So we walked in silence till we got out of the school's building and before I knew it, both of us were nestled side-by-side on the bleachers, with the cool breeze blowing.

I shivered and wrapped my arms around my torso in a useless attempt to block out the cold. The lace dress I wore proved futile against the cold night.

Carter pulled off his jacket and wrapped it around me, the warmth from it making me feel less cold.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"The night's beautiful," Carter spoke up.

"I guess," I muttered.

The silence stretched for long before it was broken by Carter's heavy sigh.

"I'm going back home."

"I know. You've told me before," I responded dejectedly. He just had to bring that up.

"I mean I'm going back."

The way he sounded made it seem he was going so soon. He couldn't possibly be leaving so early, right? It's just the first week of December.

I swallowed. The question I wanted to ask felt so faint. It was as if my throat was clogged up and I couldn't speak again. But when the question left my lips, I knew I wasn't going to like the answer.

"When?"

And for the first time since this night, Carter's green eyes bore into my grey ones with so much intensity.

"Tomorrow."

• • •

The sinking feeling in my stomach heightened with each step I took, latching onto Gabe like he was my life support and without him I would be dead. He gave me a questioning glance only to look back after I waved it off.

We made our way to the lounge and waited for Carter since he had miraculously disappeared out of or train of view minutes we stepped in here.

Gabe and I engaged in small talk for a few minutes before Carter reappeared, looking tired. After informing us on the time for his departure, we engaged ourselves in twenty questions to kill time.

It seemed that time flew so quickly as we soon heard the metallic voice announcing the departure for the plane Carter was going on.

We all stood in silence.

I cleared my throat. "Well, I guess this is it then," I stretched out my hand for a handshake. "It was nice getting to know you," I willed myself not to cry.

I'm a big girl. Big girls don't cry. Especially when their friends are leaving, right?

Carter only stared at my hand like it was some foreign object. In the blink of an eye, I was tackled with the strongest, biggest, warmest and most emotional bear hug.

"I'm gonna miss you, Lynn," Carter whispered in my hair with a cracked voice.

Ah, shit. That did it. I broke down in his arms. Our emotional breakdown caught the attention of some people. Gabe was so awkward and out-of-place as he stood a few metres away from us with his hands tucked tightly into his pockets.

Carter broke loose from the hug. "I'd better leave before I miss my flight," he said, thrusting a thumb over his shoulder.

I sniffed then nodded. "Have a safe flight," I choked out.

Carter smiled sadly. "You're so cute when you cry," he cooed pinching my cheek. I swatted his hand away and glared at him.

"Get out of here before I'll be the cause of a missed flight," I shooed. If only I could actually make him miss his flight.

Gabe walked over to us. He and Carter stood face-to-face with each other before they eventually swallowed up their ego and did a manly hug. Gabe said his good-byes and walked off to wait at a distance for me.

"Take care, Lynn."

And with that he walked off leaving me to watch his retreating figure.

Never would I have thought that I would have cried so much for someone leaving me other than my family. But you see, life has it's surprises sometimes.

And my own surprise gift from life was Carter. He made me do things I never thought I would do, feel things I thought were never in me and he taught me to enjoy life.

But all these became possible when a delinquent met another delinquent.

• • •

IT'S FINALLY OVER!!! WDMD HAS OFFICIALLY COME TO AN END! IM WEEPING😭😭😭😭😭

Thanks so much guys for everything — the support, the constant votes and all your wonderful and funny comments. I wouldn't have come this far if it weren't for your support. Thank you all.

By the way — HAPPY NEW MONTH LOVELIES!!! 😘😘❤️❤️❤️🎉🎉

Vote & Comment!

Lots of Love and Cheesecakes—DA