chapter seven

after lunch ended, the rest of the day went by pretty much like normal. there were only a few differences, like the fact that when phil and i passed each other in the halls we'd smile to each other, and the fact that eden would side eye me in class.

once the dismissal bell rang, i picked up my things and walked to my locker. i got everything i needed, and put back what i didn't and made my way outside. eden usually gets out before the bell rings because they have a nice teacher, so they're normally waiting at the flag pole for me patiently. however, today (just like the morning)is different.

i waited by the flag pole for about 10 minutes until i heard my name being called from farther down the pavement. i turned around and saw phil looking st me with slight confusion. because i figured eden wasn't gonna be there anytime soon, i walked over to him. "hey phil," i said in a slightly hurt yet angry voice.

"dan, why are you standing over there alone?" he asked.

"oh um, i'm pretty sure i somehow pissed off my ride at lunch, so i'm pretty sure i'm stranded here," i said letting my emotions get the best of me.

phil frowned. "did you look for eden's car?" he asked. i shook my head. that probably would've been a good idea. "i'll look with you. i mean, i don't know what car i'm looking for but i'll be with you. and if they did leave, i could walk you home. i mean, only if you want."

i smiled. "that'd be great." phil and i walked around the student parking lot for another 5 minutes. and to no one's surprise, no eden.

phil and i decided that we'd go to starbucks to get some drinks on the way home, so we started in that direction. i called my mom telling her the situation. well i told her that eden had to leave early and forgot to tell me so i was walking home with a friend, but at least she knew why i'm 15 minutes late.

when phil and i got to starbucks, he offered to buy both drinks because -and i quote- 'leaving your best friend without a ride from school with absolutely no heads up or explanation is kind of a shit thing to do'. i let him as long as he called home and ask if he could spend tonight with me as well as tomorrow with me and eden. he agreed, so we put in our orders and found a table. when they were done, phil went to get them. then we both called home to okay our new sleepover plans.

luckily both of our parents were happy we'd made new friends and wanted to hang out. i decided that we should go to phil's first so he can get clothes and stuff before heading to mine, so we took our drinks and began walking towards his house.

when we arived, phil opened the door and let me in first, before calling out to his mum, "mum, i'm home. and i've brought my friend." phil's mum came out of what i can only assume to be the kitchen.

"hello boys! who is this?" she smiled at me.

i smiled and put out my hand. "i'm dan. it's nice to meet you mrs. lester," i replied politely.

mrs. lester reached around me and engulfed me in a warm hug. once she let go, she said "hello dan. it's nice to meet you too. please call me kathy." she smiled at me and then back to phil. "are you boys staying for dinner?"

phil shook his head. "no, we're just planning on grabbing some stuff for the weekend, and then we're gonna head to his house. thanks though mum."

kathy nodded. "just give me a ring if you need anything, phil."

phil agreed, and then he took me upstairs to his bedroom.