FIFTY-THREE

Ed pulls up at the apartment complex, and I attempt to run up to the gate, carrying my train at once. It's quite the ordeal, by the looks of it. It catches Mrs Everette's eye
"Alaska? Is that you? You look stunning, dear."
I smile at her
"Thank you, I'm on my way to my movie's premier."
She claps
"How exciting!" But pauses "what are you doing here?"
I'm obviously desperate, because she's already opening the gate for me
"I need to clear things up with Colby before I do this or I'm not going to enjoy the night."
She holds it open for me
"Well, come on in dear."
Up the elevator, down the hall to the end and to his door. I knock rapidly, like Shelton in the Big Bang Theory on Penny's door.
"Colby... Colby... Colby."
It swings open, revealing Colby in nice jeans- still with a hip chain, boots and a black dress shirt left unbuttoned at the top to reveal his chain necklace and the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. He looks incredible. He tells me the same
"Alaska? Damn."
I smile, out of breath
"Hey- can I come in?"
He steps aside to let me in, but inquires
"Shouldn't you be at your premier right now?"
I shrug
"Better late than never. Besides, I decided something."
"Which was?"
"That I'm not walking that carpet unless you're there."
He raises an eyebrow, and begins
"Rey-"
"Wait," I cut him off "let me talk. Diana was telling me that I got this part on my own, that I should own walking down the carpet alone. But I couldn't stop thinking- I was never alone doing this. Yes I landed the audition, but the reason I am here at all today was because I met you four- nearly five years ago now. I fell in love with you nearly five years ago now. And as soon as I came back, you were there. You came to set with me for the first time, you were the first person to hug me after I got the audition. But if I hadn't met you nearly five years ago- I'd still be in Australia. Stuck at a dead end job and struggling to survive University. And I can't walk this carpet tonight knowing how much I messed things up with us. Knowing that the one person I want there above anyone else could be sitting at home, hating me. I love you Colby, and I am so grateful for all that you have done for me. So whether this fucking rant amounts to anything, I don't care. But if you wanted to come, we could still just say we're friends and whatever. But I need you tonight. More than ever."
He looks over me, lip pulled between his teeth. His eyes smiling, and his mouth eventually doing the same. He states
"If you would have just listened to me a couple minutes ago I could have saved you a lot of breath."
He chuckles at my questioning look, explaining
"I was just heading down to the premier to surprise you. Because I wasn't about to let you go and move up in the world without knowing that I love you. I always have, I always will. And that I'm so damn proud of you, Rey."
We step into each other's arms, clinging desperately to each other. The words tumbling from our lips like a prayer
"I love you."
"I love you."
Eventually though, he steps back and states
"You need to go. Now."
I shake my head
"Not unless you're arriving with me."
He ponders it, deciding
"Lets do it."
We rush back down stairs, climbing into the limo. I tell Ed
"Onward."
Laughing, he rolls up the divider between us and takes off. I guess he sensed what was about to happen. Sensed that as soon as I turned back to Colby, Colby kisses me. Finger curled gently under my chin as to not mess up the makeup. The kiss delicate, but filled with so much more love and passion and joy than any pash from anyone else could muster. Now, this feels right. Like my day can progress the way it should.

We arrive not too late, by my standards anyway. I don't think the people there actually care much, at least not the people gathered around the venue all screaming when Colby steps out of the car, helping me out after him. The event managing team is a little pissed, but I'll smooth that over with some flowers and a fruit basket later or something. And true to her word, Diana would have been right behind me if  we didn't take a detour, she was waiting for us when we got there. Not at all surprised to see Colby in tow. She reapplies my lipstick and sends us off, stepping onto the carpet hand in hand. The carpet blue for tonight's event. The turn out is crazy, so many more fans here than I was expecting. We pose for photos together, some alone, before moving on and greeting some people. Taking photos with fans, signing things. Being YouTubers and being used to it, we get through heaps before we're instructed to move on. More photos, and now for a few interviews. The first is just by myself. They ask me questions about landing the role, if I was a fan of Mortal Kombat before hand, what it was like filming my first movie. So on. The next one we go to want Colby and me, and we oblige.
"Look at this stunning pair," the lady with the microphone states as we come over "how are we feeling tonight?"
Colby let's me go first
"I can't describe it. I'm so ecstatic right now."
She turns to Colby
"What about you, sir?"
He grins
"Incredible. This is crazy."
She agrees
"It's quite a cult favourite. Alaska, tell us, who are you wearing tonight."
I laugh, tooting my own horn a little
"This is going to sound fancy as hell- but we've got on a custom Balmain dress."
She looks to Colby, who states with a cheesy grin
"Honestly I don't know."
We laugh, and she states as she nods to the floor
"Well I recognise those YSL boots. And I see some Valentino rockstuds over here, some Cartier jewellery. Ooh- what's this one."
She refers to the ring on my thumb, Colby's ring. I smirk
"Just a little something I stole out of Colby's collection."
He chuckles adding
"I put it on her finger at a party a while back and never got it back."
She grins
"Well, you two make a beautiful couple. We've always said so."
Colby smiles down at me
"I think so."
I smirk up at him
"For sure."
She pouts
"Adorable. What's the first thing you two are going to do after the premier? Going out partying?"
I shake my head
"We'll probably just get some take out on the way home and eat it in the kitchen floor."
Colby squeezes my hand, he likes that idea. She sends us on our way
"You two lovebirds have an amazing night now."
Colby thanks her
"Thank you, you too."
It just happened, he gave it away. He went public about us. And I can't stop smiling like an idiot. We continue through more interviews, all of which now want both of us after overhearing that we're actually together. There are just as many questions about our relationship as there are about the movie now, but that's okay. I'm happy to be honest and answer any of them. More photos, in which the photographers now call at us to kiss. For most of them we don't, just doing cute couple poses. Smiling at each other, cuddling. Maybe a few power couple poses too, no smiling, but with smirking eyes. A couple ones in which we poke our tongues out- not giving them what they want. But before we move on, Colby smiles at me and I crane my head to look at him. His arms around me, he kisses me quickly, my hand against his jaw. There, that should shut them up. For once we don't care, we're not worrying about keeping things on the down low. We're happy being us, and making it a night to remember.