Out of Control

Whispers had filled the hallways and followed The Twelve wherever they went. Everyone in the academy knew something was going on, but nobody knew what. The Circle had been very quiet and guarded, keeping more to themselves than usual. Even Tamara, who was typically boisterous, stayed quiet and unnaturally alert to her surroundings. Corvan was always bursting randomly into flames, Valeriana looked as if she could rip someone to shreds and Keelan wore an uncharacteristic frown from sunrise to sunset.

Something was terribly wrong, but it was something that had to stay among the Celestial Twelve. Valeriana's powers had finally begun to show themselves, and even Corvan had to admit she was working well them. Her purification trait was something that wasn't made public knowledge, so that it couldn't be used against them in the coming war. Unfortunately, Val's powers were growing stronger every single day. Her presence seemed to engulf the room, and Rowe and Aneeka could literally see the stress effecting her aura and channels.

Valeriana was peculiar to them anyways because she was raised in the world of humans, but each member of the Twelve grew increasingly concerned when the fifth rankers powers decided to manifest openly, without her biding. Each of them were on guard, fully prepared to cause a scene should it be necessary, to provide a distraction and offer an escape if Valeriana would ever need it.

Although her powers seemed to be uncontrollable, Corvan was more concerned about the girl's wellbeing and mental health. She typically ate quite large amounts for her small frame, mediated daily and kept up with her scholarly duties, but Valeriana wasn't acting like herself. She barely ate and she hasn't spoken at dinner for days. Even though he didn't necessarily miss her annoying pestering, Corvan did acknowledge the red flag that was being sent. There was more wrong than just her inability to get ahold on her powers physical manifestation.

As it was a typical weekday, the circle had dinner together which normally consisted of friendly banter and not so friendly stares from Corvan. They at least tried to act normal. Uncharacteristically, the fifth-ranked showed up to dinner late. Her hair was in a messy ponytail, her clothes wrinkled and eyes red-rimmed as if she had recently been crying. Even the hot-headed first ranker and the meticulous fourth didn't have the heart to address Valeriana's current state.

"So," Tamara began in a gentle voice," I think we need to discuss...what's going on. We've been on edge for weeks protecting Val while we wait for answers. And honestly, you really don't look so good, Valeriana."

All eyes turned to honey blonde as she pursed her lips and gave a slight nod of her head, as if in acknowledgement.

"Yes. Maybe we should," Valeriana said in a quiet whisper. Corvan's brows furrowed at the lack of fire and sass in her words. Brindon's typically apathetic face showed slight concern and the twins had matching frowns. Raziel was squirming in his seat, as he often does when he's worried.

"There's something you're not telling us. We can't help you this way," Keelan said matter-of-factly as he made eye contact with azure eyes. Following his uncharacteristically serious words, all eyes looked to the fifth as she obviously tried to hold back tears.

"You'll think I'm crazy. I think I'm crazy."

Nobody said anything and looked at the teary eyed girl with rapidly growing concern. Valeriana was a badass. Not a crier.

"Take a deep breath and explain slowly. We don't think you're crazy, and we can't help if you don't explain what's happening thoroughly," Rowe said in calming voice as he offered her a gentle smile. Casting her uncertain gaze around the table, she realized that these were the only people that could help her, but she still felt a sense of hesitation as her azure eyes meet a pair of emerald ones.

"Valeriana, Lord Rowe is correct. We can't help you if you don't allow us to help you. Now, stop with the crying, collect your thoughts and begin to speak when you feel as if you're ready. Take as long as you need. We'll be patient," Corvan calmly stated as he slowly picked up his glass, as if this was their everyday dinner. Needless to say, the rest of the Circle was shocked, including Valeriana.

Following the first and second-rankers advice, Valeriana began to piece together what was happening, but knew she could never rationally explain it. All eyes were focused directly on her when she began to speak.

"I can hear...him," she said in a nearly breathless whisper.

"Who's him," Charles questioned as he pushed his glass back onto his nose. Leaning forward, Brindon searched her face with a gaze that mirrored confusion and concern.

"I don't know. He's not...good. This guy is dark, like the shadows. I know I-it's c-crazy, but it's not my fault..." she trailed off as everyone stared at her with a bit fear on each of their faces. Something told her that they knew something she didn't completely understand yet.

"Well," Corvan said thoughtfully," I believe this long awaited war is getting ready to start."

"What? You don't think I'm crazy?" the fifth-ranker asked with a sigh of relief.

"Quite the contrary," Rowe said slowly as he leaned back in his chair to take a deep breath," I think the rest of the Twelve also have a sneaking suspicion of who's voice is plaguing your thoughts."

Valeriana did too, but she didn't dare ask for an elaboration. A part of her had hoped that they would say she was reading someone's mind, or, hell, that she was insane. But, Rowe's statement basically confirmed her worst nightmare.

Valeriana jumped up from the table and ran back to her room, slamming the door closed and locking it quickly. She knew they were rushing up the staircase when she heard the clambering of feet and voices that couldn't quite pierce through the fog surrounding her brain. In one fluid motion, Valeriana shoved her wardrobe in front of the door before locking herself in the bathroom attached to the bedroom suite and sitting against the door and covering her ears with her gloved hands.

The Celestial Circle were banging on the door and she knew they would soon force their way in. Valeriana still couldn't make out any of the muffled voices that were filled with concern and fear for her wellbeing.

Valeriana already knew who he was. She didn't need Charles or Rowe or anyone else tell her who was in her mind. He was made of shadows and death and pain. He lived off of anger and hatred. Valeriana saw things and had sudden urges to commit actions she truly could've never been able to fathom if it hadn't been for the entity that intruded her mind through that damned taint in her palm. He whispered his name to her, etched into her brain with talon like nails. Valeriana didn't listen and she said she didn't believe him. After all, demons are liars and that's what he claimed to be.

A demon, but not just any demon. He declared himself to be their king.

The voice haunting Valeriana's every waking and sleeping moments was Vladis himself.

A/N: so definitely not my best, and I'm sorry for that. This will definitely have a couple more parts to it. As always, thank you guys for reading, voting and commenting! I really appreciate you guys!!!! Don't forget that y'all are more than welcome to request stuff that you may wanna see in this book, so my inbox is always open!