Holly Jolly (pt.5)

Yes...this is SUPER late! This semester has been absolutely crazy, which I'm sure all of you understand that struggle currently as well. Anyways, on to the good stuff!!!!

Corvan made his way to the staircase with a small package in his left hand. He was pleased that Valeriana would be able to return home, even if it is for only a short amount of time.

He finally stood outside the room that belonged to the fifth ranker and was getting ready to knock on her bedroom door, but it was suddenly flung open and Valeriana flew out of her room to collide with a chest that felt as if it was made of steel.

"Ohmygosh! You idiot devil! Why are you always standing in my doorway when I'm in a rush," Valeriana said as she placed her hands on her hips. Instead of answering, Corvan just gave his signature scowl and huffed.

"I have a present for you. I apologize for interrupting, considering the circumstances. I'll take my leave now."

Corvan practically thrust the package into Valeriana's hands, then calmly turned to make his way to his room. He would never admit it to himself or to her, but he was too anxious to watch her open it.

///

Valeriana was dumbfounded. Looking back at the gift exchange, she realized that there had been a pattern. The rest of the Twelve had been going in the same order as they had for the duels back in the summer.

After Corvan made his rather hasty retreat, Valeriana went back to her room and gently closed the door behind her. Why did she have to be so rude to him? After all, he had gotten her a Christmas gift and personally asked the king and the headmaster for permission for her to return home.

Valeriana had a little under three hours to pack which gave her plenty of time to open the small gift box. She carefully untied the string wrapped before she took off the brown paper covering the box underneath.

She was meet with a wooden box. It was similar in color to cherry, but had a different pattern compared to the trees back home. Carefully, she opened the box and gasped at the sight. The necklace was simple and elegant, but beautiful nonetheless. It looked as if it had been handcrafted. The chain was very thin and made out of silver and the pendant looked like a blooming valeriana.

With the box still in her hand, the fifth ranker ran down the staircase to the common area where the abs opened gifts earlier that morning.

"Did you all know about this," Valeriana exclaimed as she clutched the box to her chest. Her cheeks were flushed and she seemed caught off guard.

"Headmaster Kylon already explained everything. So, yeah!"

"Know what?"

"What are you talking about?"

Instead of answering, she simply passed the box to Keelan, who was closest to her. Scrunching his eyebrows together in confusion, the eleventh ranker opened the box to see what had Val all tied up in knots.

"Oh wow...Corvan really outdid himself. This is handcrafted," Keelan said as he presented it to the rest of the Twelve. The rest were simply awestruck by the beauty of the necklace.

"There's an engraving on the stem of the flower," Charles said as he closely inspected Corvan's present," Valeriana, I believe you should go speak to Corvan. This is a rather...sentimental gift."

Quickly, she grabbed the gift box back to look at the engraving. Without another word, Valeriana made her way back up the staircase to Corvan's room. She bounded up the steps quickly until she stood outside Corvan's door.