Arlandian Nobility

Valeriana's hair has been twisted into some fancy braid on top of her head and makeup had carefully been applied to her face. Her lips were painted a lovely shade of red and gold shimmered on her eyelids bringing out her azure eyes. Overall, she really did look beautiful.

Except for the tears that were threatening to spill over her lower lash line.

Corvan thought all of this to himself in a matter of seconds as he leaned against a window frame in an elegant living space in the Ember Palace. He had only offered her a short glance before continuing to glare out the window. Everyone below in the garden seemed to be enjoying the festivities and the distraction being offered from the incoming war.

He understood why she was so upset. After all, Corvan wasn't all that happy either. Of course, they loved each other, but this wasn't how either of them wanted things to go.

"I'm sorry, Val. If it's any consolation, you look lovely in white," the young Arlandian lord said in a gentle tone as he turned to face his new wife. She pressed her lips together before offering him a small smile.

"Thank you, but I know it kinda washes me out," she managed to halfway joke before her shoulders slumped as if the weight of the world rested upon them. In a strange way, it did. Well, at least the weight of Arlandia did. A heavy silence settled between them once again. Instead of saying anything, Corvan sat next to Valeriana on the couch her, and majority of her dress, occupied.

"This was all thrown together in a rush before I was even able to properly court you, or propose. I know this isn't the wedding you would've wanted."

Valeriana remained silent while tears slowly trailed down her face. After a few long moments, she took a deep breath to compose herself.

"I understand why it happened so quickly and I know that had it been left to us, it would've been done our way. We can't change the past, Corvan. We can only look to our future."

Once again, Corvan was surprised by how wise the stupid girl could be when it came down to it. Valeriana was an old soul.

"We had better get back to the reception before the guests start making rude assumptions," Valeriana said as she blinked rapidly to get rid of her remaining tears. Corvan didn't say anything, but stood and offered his hand. He knew those heels were killing her feet and she most certainly wouldn't have worn them had she been allowed to plan her own wedding.

Together, hand in hand, they made their way slowly back to the reception where the rest of the Twelve were surely enjoying themselves. Their friends knew how they both felt about everything happening, even though neither of them openly complained.

The newlyweds reached the elegantly decorated entrance to the Ember Palace's Garden of Summer. As if all the guests sensed the two's presence, the music stopped and applause and cheers replaced it. Valeriana offered a shy smile and searched for a familiar face while Corvan's mask hid his true feelings, but his anger at his father still radiated in his emerald eyes.

A/n: okay, this is short! I'm sorry, but I wanted to post an update because I said I would! Things are SUPER crazy right now, so I apologize for the spotty updates :) but I hope you enjoy this one. I might edit it eventually to make it longer or add a part 2!!!!