Routine

"Mommy! Will you tell the story again?"

Valeriana left out a small sigh through her nose as she looked at her now five-year-old daughter. Aubrielle's green eyes looked hopeful as her cherub like face scrunched into a pout. Once again, Valeriana thought how unfair it was (not to mention rude) that she carried their daughter for nine months and she had the audacity to look like her father's twin.

On the other hand, Ezra, their seven month old son, looked much more like his mother. He had the same azure blue eyes and honey blonde hair. Needless to say, Corvan pouted once he found out that his genetics weren't nearly as strong as he thought.

With a small smile, Valeriana smoothed out the frown lines between her daughter's eyes with her thumb.

"Which one do you want to hear, little foot?"

Aubrielle giggled at the nickname she had since Tamara had laid eyes on her. The fiery red head was just completely baffled by how small the tiny girls feet were. It was pretty apparent that Valeriana and Corvan's daughter would be much more petite than either of them. Although her attitude was the size of Arlandia itself.

"Can I hear about the one where you beat up Daddy," Aubrielle asked excitedly as she bounced on her tippy-toes.

"Well, there's quite a few of those stories. You'll have to be a bit more specific," Valeriana laughed as she picked her daughter up on to her lap. Her applesauce curls smelled like cinnamon.

"I 'pecifically wanna hear about the one at your school when you wore purple armor."

With a smirk, Valeriana prepared herself to launch into a lengthy story about their duel all those years ago. She had barely begun when the door to their private living room had opened with a happy Ezra in Corvan's arms. The little boy cooed happily at the sight of his mother and older sister.

"If you're going to plot against Ezra and I, you two could at least try a bit harder to not get caught in the middle of your scheming," Corvan said as he placed his son down into a sectioned off portion to the room that Val had dubbed "The Playschool Prison".

"Dad, it's really not that hard to plot against you. Try not to flatter yourself," Aubrielle said sassily as she placed one hand her hip. In that moment, Corvan could've sworn he had been verbally attacked by a younger Val. His wife had pressed her lips together tightly in order to contain her laughter, but a few stray giggles kept slipping through.

Choosing not to answer, the Highlord of Arlandia huffed through his nose as he took a seat next to his wife, but making sure he still had Ezra in his clear line of sight. The baby was babbling to a toy that Valeriana called a "rattler" as he shook it violently in his tiny fist.

"I was telling her the story about our duel," Valeriana explained with a smile on her face.

"I see. If I remember correctly, I was the victor of the duel."

"Yeah, and you also got a haircut, you arrogant ass," Valeriana scoffed out while crossing her arms.

"Mommy! That's a bad word," Aubrielle exclaimed as her eyes widened in shock. Corvan chuckled lightly while Valeriana backtracked.

"Are you ready to hear the rest of the story, little foot," Corvan asked his daughter with a raised eyebrow. Her curls bounced as she nodded her head excitedly and scooted to sit between her parents. Once she was settled, the two took turns telling the story of the festival that the academy was hosting, how they had prepared for the duel and about Valeriana's infamous wrestling hold.

By the time they had finished, Aubrielle head had drooped and small snores escaped her parted lips. Without hesitation, Valeriana and Corvan both moved to kiss their daughter gently on the top of her head. Ezra's babbling had turned to light coos as his eyes seemed to be getting heavy.

"That story gets them every time," Corvan said as he scooped his daughter up in one arm while he stood. She padded over to Ezra's play pen and lifted him into her arms. Within a few minutes of her gently bouncing him, he had fallen asleep on his mothers shoulder.

"I know, but I'll never understand why that's the story that makes them fall asleep," Valeriana said quietly as they stepped into the hall to put the children in their rooms for the night.

"In hindsight, it really isn't nearly as exciting as fighting a demon army," Corvan whispered with a smirk.

"Or disappearing for an entire year and then showing back up with an entire continent and your betrothed's long-lost sister and niece."

"Valid point, Valery."

A/n: hey!!! Don't forget to hit that little star, guys! Feel free to leave me some requests for future one shots!