Chapter Four: Denim Jackets

────────────────────────────
-'ˏ Margo's Pov ˎ'-

╭ ╮
Margaret Henderson's House
Tuesday , 9:00 p.m
╰ ╯

────────────────────────────

After dinner I sat in my room staring at the jacket that was hung across the end of my bed. It reminded me of the terrible days events so I quickly shoved it into my backpack so it was out of sight. Slipping back under the warm covers I quickly fell asleep.

────────────────────────────

I pressed the snooze button so many times that I barely had time to get myself ready for school. I quickly took a shower and wrestled the first pair of jeans I could find on. Brushing my hair back behind my ears, I pulled on a shirt and a light sweater in case it was cold outside. Running out the door I grabbed an apple and my thermos before beginning my morning walk. I was lost in my own thoughts as I quickly walked around a corner and slammed into a nervous looking boy.

"Oh shit!" He gasped loudly noticing the huge stain that spread across my jacket from the now empty coffee thermos in his hand.

"Fuck." I muttered looking down at it.

"I- I'm so sorry!" He awkwardly said not knowing what to do. "I'm uh- Jonathan by the way."

"Will's brother right?" I asked noticing him tense up. "He plays with Dustin, my brother." I explained.

"Oh uh yeah. I'm sorry about the coffee, it's been a rough morning."

"Yeah for the both of us." I joked trying to lighten the mood.

"Do you want some napkins? Maybe um some water and it'll uh you know." He said motioning with his hands.

I snorted at him. "I'll just go wash up." I replied trying to reassure him. "Really don't worry about it."

He just nodded as I rushed off towards the bathroom wondering how I was gonna fix this mess and if my day could go any more downhill.

Once in the bathroom I reinspected the damage done. It was a dark coffee stain that clearly wasn't coming out and was starting to soak into the shirt underneath. I pealed off the sweater slowly.

It's too cold to walk around like this without a jacket.

Scowling to myself I shoved my ruined garments into the depths of my backpack. It wasn't all fitting in there so I tore out some books which revealed Billy's jacket. I thought over all of the pros and cons and decided no one would recognize a simple denim jacket. I slipped it on and shoved everything including the cigarette box back into my backpack. Hiking my bag over my shoulder I walked back out while trying to tuck my shirt into my belt attempting to make my outfit look less like trash.

I quickly walked to first period and slipped into an empty seat next to Nancy. We sat more towards the front while the rowdy and more vocal students sat in the back.

She gave me a weird look upon noticing my jacket.

"Kid named Jonathan spilled coffee on me and it was all I had." I said frowning. She slowly nodded her head as the teacher started the lesson. The laughter from the back of the class was louder than usual today. I leaned forward in my desk to take notes when I felt someone brush my hair back and tuck it behind my ear.