No Blame

Krissy stood rigidly behind a chair at a dinning room table a day later, inside an extravagant gold and red dinning room. Her upper body ached under large white T-shirt. Her arms were bandaged sloppily by herself after Marcus had dropped off a role of bandages last night along with the T-shirt. She had spent most of the night watching Bryce, urging him awake to wrap his own wounds, but he was spent, completely exhausted. She was worried. She was angry. She was horrified.

She would have to be out of her mind not to be, when they had been kidnapped by some insane woman. If Bryce hadn't been with her when she was taken, she would have freaked out more, but Bryce was Bryce, if anyone could get them out of this situation it was him. She had been confident in that. Her confidence in Bryce had always been high. He was never wrong, no matter how much she argued with him over the smallest things.

Then she had seen him last night and suddenly she was faced with Bryce's humanity. Yes, her boyfriend was a good person, smart, and kind, but he was also human. A boy who's mother still had to force him to eat his vegetables. A smile almost tugged at her lips at the memory.

Marcus had appeared about an hour ago and lead her out of the basement, leaving behind an unconscious Bryce. Now, Krissy stood in the dinning room for at least twenty minutes. She had checked it's large Mahogany doors and found both locked. No window. No phones.

She froze as locks unlocked and both wooden doors swung open and in walked a short brown haired woman, wearing a pale green maid's uniform. The maid kept her head down, obviously making a point not to look at her, not to acknowledge she was even there. Krissy wouldn't have any of that. The woman pushed in a cart, stacked high with plates and silverware, which the woman began to unload as she began setting the table.

The girl stared at the woman, her hand gripped the back of the chair in front of her. "Help us..." She whispered, leaning over, pleading with the woman. "Please..." The woman continued to work, not even sparing her a glance. "Why are you fu-" She cut herself off, taking a calming breath. Being like that wouldn't get her very far, Bryce would say. You get my flies with honey and all of that, but she thought, this whole situation was shit and everyone knows how many flies shit attracts. "If you're afraid..." Her voice trembled with nerves and desperation. "We... Can you give me a phone...? Could you point me towards a phone?"

The woman got to the chair she is in front of and stood right beside the girl, and ignored her as she quickly sat a plate there and silverware before moving on. Krissy growled under her breath.

Fuck what Bryce says. Krissy felt frustration met its very limited limit. "When she goes down, you'll go with her, yo-"

"Oh don't bother her, Krissy." Maria appeared in the open doorway with Bryce trailing behind her like a beaten dog. He looked exhausted as if he could fall at any moment. She eyed him. His gaze locked on her almost right away. She ignored his silent question. 'Are you alright?' He was wearing a gray T-shirt, its collar bloody. He was also barefoot. "You may leave now, Rosy." The maid woman quickly made her getaway, pushing her cart away.

Maria shoved Bryce in the back with a cruel hand, "you can stand across from Krissy," He almost fell into the table. A cry fell from his lips as quickly stumbled and found his footing. Krissy makes a move to help him but was stopped amazingly by one look from Maria. It was so... dark. She blankly stared at the woman for a few moments, fighting back a shiver. Bryce bent over and panted softly as he fought to allow air into his lungs. "Today Bryce..."

He took a shaky breath and straightened his back. He then limped to the chair across from Krissy.

Bryce stared at her and she stared back.

"Stand, do not have a seat yet," The woman ordered. Marcus appeared a minute later, going to the chair across from the head of the table, he and Maria took a seat. A glass bowl of mixed-fruit cut into chunks was brought in by Rosy. Maria and Marcus filled their plates with fruit and began eating while the teens continued to stand.

Maria chatted happily with Marcus who responded with awkward smiles and quick nods.

Both teens shared a look as both of their stomach growled emptily. Bryce's body swayed as he gently shook his head at her, which made her even more angry. He always thought he knew exactly what she was thinking.

"Why are you doing this?" She could feel Bryce gaze quickly lift to her and his stare. She could see he wished she had kept her mouth shut. Now was not the time to make this woman angry again, she understood, but the girl wasn't one to bend for anyone. "You... You have to have a reason."

Maria finished slowly chewing her piece of honeydew melon in her mouth. "Breakfast time, is a time I like to enjoy with pleasant conversation. I do not answer questions." She once again began eating.

"You owe us an explanation!" Krissy yelled, fed up with the woman's bullshit, "You owe us."

Maria stood so suddenly both teens flinched. "I don't owe you a damn thing!" She hissed, pointing her fork at the girl, "You're beginning to drive my patience, girl."

"She's only asking a question," Bryce quickly said, obviously it was in an attempt to take the woman's attention off of Krissy. "It's a reasonable question..." It worked.

She wished she wasn't grateful.

The woman's gaze completely darkened upon landing on him, "What?"

Bryce skin paled. "I..."

In seconds she was before him, her hand slamming into his face in a harsh slap.

"Bryce!"Krissy croaked. She moved, only for a pair of strong, thick arms to wrap around her waist and hold her in place. A strong spicy plum smell filled her nose, Marcus. She had noticed before, nearly everything smelled like that.

His weakened body fell as his legs buckled, he was only able to stay up with the help of the chair. She hit him again and blood flew from his mouth.

The girl was helpless as she watched Maria beat her boyfriend with her fists and slaps, she even used her feet when the boy's body gave out on him he hit the floor. He couldn't even fight back against the tiny woman. Hot tears raced down her cheeks as she fruitlessly struggled against the man holding her. Her ears are assaulted by Maria's ranting.

"I give you a nice meal and what I get in return is lip from you two?" Maria raved. "I'll show you your place, boy!"