Chapter 35

Lia

My dad hasn't grilled me about the whole thing with Blake or us skipping school, much to my surprise. I was sure he was going to make fun of me again, but no, he just gave me the talk. But not the usual talk, explaining birds and bees, but our talk. About me and the Ghost.

"I really like that boy, little mouse, but I don't want you to get hurt. He doesn't know about your fighting, does he?"

"No, and I don't have any intention on telling him. Maybe one day, when I get out of the business. But not until then, it's too risky. If someone knows how important he is to me, they'll use him like they used you. He's not as strong as you, he wouldn't be able to protect himself." I lean my elbows on my knees as I sit on the couch in my living room. Dad is opposite to me, looking as worried as I feel. This is getting out of hand.

"Is there something going on?" He asks worriedly. That man could always read me like an open book.

"I received some messages on my other phone. There's this guy Ace that showed up some time ago. He's been winning fight after fight, rising in the ranks of the Cage pretty fast and now he's demanding a fight with me. He plays dirty, so who knows what he'll try to get me in the ring. I can't risk it again. Not after what happened to you. I nearly lost you because of those motherfuckers, and I won't allow it again. And I know Ace will not give up until I fight him. He wants to take my spot at the top, and to do that he has to defeat me. I wouldn't put it past him to pull some dirty shit to achieve that." I can finally tell someone about it. It's been on my mind for a while now, but I had no one to talk to.

"Can you beat him?"

"I think so. The problem is he likes to resort to underhanded tricks. I've heard he even pulled a knife on one guy. What guarantee do I have he won't do it again?" I express my worries.

"But that's not all, is it?" How does he do that? I can't hide anything from him!

"I agreed to fight Ace on Friday. But... Blake is going to be there. He could recognize me."

"That boy watches the fights?" Dad exclaims in shock. I know the feeling, dad. I was shocked at first, too.

"He has a name, dad. It's Blake." I chastise.

"Pfft. – he scoffs – To me, he'll always be that boy, who has his eyes on my little girl." I laugh at that.

"I'm not that little anymore, dad." I joke. I know he will always see me as his little mouse, no matter how old I get.

"Yeah, you're already 5'6". You're growing so fast." He shakes his head in mock sadness. We burst out laughing at the ridiculousness.

I wake up the next day to the delicious smell of my dad's cooking. After I'm done with my morning routine, I go to the kitchen, where I'm met by the sight of my shirtless dad making French toasts and my boyfriend sitting at the island.

"Hey sweetheart." Blake grins cheekily.

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to pick you up." I narrow my eyes at him in annoyance.

"I can drive myself." I tell him for the 100th time. Why is he so stubborn about this?!

"Take a sit, little one, breakfast is ready." Dad puts my plate on the island, smiling at me.

"Yeah, little one, come and eat or we'll be late." I glare at Blake.

"Don't call me that, only my dad can do that." I playfully scold, getting a laugh from my dad and a frown from Blake.