Chapter 50

Lia

The cops question me and Blake about my parents, but I don't have to say much, since apparently my dad contacted the chief and warned him that they might cause some problems. The chief clearly recognizes me from when his son tried to charge me with assault after hitting on me at the mall.

I explain to the chief the reason why my parents are here after Will says they've been staking out in front of school for the whole week. The chief assures me that they're keeping close watch on my parents, since they've been reported for scam before. It puts me at ease, but I know those two will not just give up.

One of the officers warns us that the people my parents borrowed the money from are actually loan sharks with some dangerous connections. And they'll do anything to get their money back.

I wonder how much exactly my parents owe. Not that I'm going to pay it back - that's out of the question, but I'm just curious what amount of money pushed them to look for me after all this time.

The chief gives me his number. If something happens or my parents contact me again, I'm supposed to notify him. The cops leave soon after that, taking my unconscious 'parents' with them.

After they're gone, I go with Blake to Jen's for a dinner. I'm not in the mood to cook right now. Will doesn't come with us, since he has to go home.

"I think it would be best if you stayed at my house for the next few days." Blake suddenly says while we eat. I look up from my plate, smiling gently at him.

"I think I'll be fine. I don't want to drag you into this."

"And I don't want you to stay alone. It's not safe. You heard what the chief said, it's dangerous." He frowns worriedly. "I texted my dad, he said it's okay, so you don't have to worry about my parents if that's what's stopping you." That Cakey... Damn him. I sigh tiredly. He's not going to give it up, he's way too stubborn.

"One week. Not a day longer." I state seriously. This is not up for discussion.

But Blake seems to be satisfied with my answer, grinning widely. "Okay. Let's go, we need to pack." He pulls me from the booth after putting a few bills on the table.

Blake talks to Jared through the phone on the way to my house, telling him that I agreed to stay at their house and that we'll be there in the evening. Jared, much to my surprise, sounds relieved when he hears that. When I ask him about it, he explains how he and Sam were worried about me staying alone. They don't know about me being the Ghost, so they think I'm defenseless when I'm actually far from it.

I try to pack my bag, keyword – try. I'm constantly interrupted by Blake, who keeps touching me every chance he gets, kissing me or just wrapping his arms around me. I know he likes to coddle me and all, but I'm trying to focus on the task at hand and he's really distracting. And I tell him exactly that.

"You know you love it." Damn him, he's right.

"Okay, I'm done." I zip up the bag with a deep sigh. Blake picks it up and carries it to his car, while I look around my room, trying to see if I didn't forget anything with Blake's constant interrupting.

I secretly take some money out of my hidden safe while Blake's outside then leave the house after locking all the windows and doors.

"Hi honey." We're greeted by grinning Sam when we arrive at Blake's house.

"Hey Sam." I start tentatively, but she cuts me off before I can continue.

"I'm so glad you agreed to stay with us. I would have been so worried if you hadn't." She hugs me quickly then goes inside with me and Blake following right after.