Chapter 12

A/n: So I’m not great with fighting sequences so this chapter may seem a little rushed or subpar, sorry about that.

Y/n’s POV-

     After a few minutes cadets began showing up at the training grounds, it was quite dark, the area only lit by some lamps that hung around the area. I didn’t know why they were assessing us in the dark, it seemed like it would make it all the more difficult to showcase everyone's full potential this way. Not to mention I was at an advantage, having fought in the dark many times.

     I felt ready to fight, having run in place for a few minutes and stretcher for the remaining time after that. As the last of the cadets showed up, I took deep breaths and began to focus as I would have before I went out to patrol my village at night. 

     Soon after, Instructor Shadis showed up and I saw Levi follow behind him and stand off to the side, giving me a quick look before turning his attention to Shadis, who had just cleared his throat to get everyone’s attention. 

     “Tonight you will all be tested on your current hand-to-hand combat ability, you will partner up and fight each other till the other is pinned to the floor unable to get up! Try not to seriously injure each other, but also don’t hold back! As you all can see, it is dark, so you must trust your instincts much more while you are fighting out here. Now, everyone choose a partner, spread out, and begin!” Shadis shouted out.

     I looked around as everyone began to pair up, Jean and Marco, Sasha and Connie, Reiner and Bertholdt, yet everyone around me seemed to be avoiding me entirely. I guess I couldn’t blame them now that they know why I am here.

     Suddenly there was a tap on my shoulder and I turned around to see Eren standing there, “Looks like we both don’t have partners, so how about we go at it?”

      “You sure about this Jaeger? I think there is a reason every other cadet is avoiding fighting me,” I asked.

     “Oh, how bad could it be, show me what you got,” Eren said, getting into a fighting stance.

     “If you insist Eren,” I said and sighed, getting into my own fighting stance.

     We stood there for a second, as I wasn’t going to make the first move, but then Eren began to charge at me. I took a breath in and seemed to go into a trance. As Eren got close to me, I stepped to the side and grabbed his arm as he passed by me and spun him around.

     I took my foot and kicked him in the stomach, causing him to double over, I then took this opportunity to charge him and flip him over my shoulder. Once he was on the ground, I got on top of him to ensure he couldn’t get up and held my arm to his neck, as if I was going to cut off his air. 

    Eren began to cough and it woke me from my trance. I quickly got off Eren and held out my hand to help him up, “Oh walls! Eren I’m so sorry! I don’t know what got into me, I didn’t mean to go that hard!”

     Eren coughed once more, but smiled up at me, “Don’t apologize, Shadis said not to hold back, I should have expected just as much from you,” he said, reaching up, grabbing my hand.

     Just as I was about to hoist Eren up I heard fast footsteps behind me and heard a familiar clicking of a tongue. Suddenly a foot collided with Eren’s shoulder, causing him to fall back to the ground and let go of my hand.

      “Get yourself up Jaeger, don’t waste her time with your filthy hand, brat,” Levi said, turning to face me.

     “No Levi it’s ok. I offered hi-” I started to express my concern before I was cut off my Levi getting into a fight stance.