Chapter 19

Y/n’s POV-

     I felt myself grow conscious, I felt groggy and it was hard to open my eyes which lead me to believe I had slept for quite a long while. I continued to try and open my eyes and soon the sunlight finally began to reach my pupils. It took a few minutes to focus, but soon I was able to see clearly as well.

     It looked like I was laying in a bed, so I made to get up, but as soon as I tried to move, my right leg felt heavy and it had a painful aching sensation. I looked down at my ankle and saw that it was wrapped with thick bandages that prevented me from moving it, but I could still feel the sore aching coming from underneath. 

      I finally took the time to look around and realized exactly where I was, I was in the infirmary at the Scout’s headquarters. I had only been here once before. Before I joined the Training Corps I came here once because I had a severe headache, but never had I been here over night before. 

      I thought back to what happened before I had previously fallen asleep and began to take the time to recall all the events from the expedition, my memory of it all was foggy, but I could remember enough. I was being chased down by a titan, then I broke my ankle and still used my gear, making it worse. 

      Then… then I almost died, I was almost eaten… but Levi saved me. He must have been who took me here after I passed out, they must have looked at my ankle then. I wonder how long I have been out, I was fatigued from all the pain on the expedition, but surely I couldn’t have been out for too long.

      Suddenly the door opened, a nurse walked in and looked a little shocked to see me awake, but she quickly brushed it off and smiled at me. “Good to see you awake Cadet L/n, I assume you feel some sore discomfort from that ankle of yours, I’ll go run and get you some pain medication. Excuse me,” she said before taking off into a room connected to the room I was in.

      When she came back, she had a glass of water and a few pills, she had me swallow them and told me in about thirty minutes my ankle should start to feel a bit better. 

     “Um, how long was I asleep for?” I asked.

     “Oh don’t worry, you weren’t asleep for too long, you all got back from the expedition a day and a half ago,” she reassured me.

     I nodded and she smiled, “I should probably go run and get Captain Levi, he told us here to get him when you woke up, so I will be right back with him,” she said before leaving once more.

     I spent the few minutes she was gone thinking about the expedition, I was relieved that it was only a day and a half ago, but still the whole situation shook me up. I had cried to Levi that day about how I accepted my death and gave up, and that feeling, that surprise that I am even alive right now is still a very strange feeling. 

     That day I blamed myself, but Levi told me that I couldn’t have made it any further, he told me it was a miracle I made it as far as I did. I suppose he is right, but I still feel a bit guilty about not trying to get up and run away.

     Now that I think about it, Levi had been extremely nice during that encounter, of course he still called me a brat, and his tone was definitely harsh, but apart from that he seemed very happy to see me alive. I know that he and I are close, and I know that night a week ago, he was very worried about me, but I guess I still didn’t realize how much he cared about me until then.

      It was always hard to imagine Levi actually caring, especially after all the stories his comrades had told me about his harshness. He was never that way with me, except for before this expedition, but even though he and I got along so well, I guess deep down I had still seen him as the Levi everyone had described to me.