Chapter 34

Y/n’s POV- 

     When I arrived at the door to the basement, a meal in each of my hands, I was stopped by two scouts guarding the way. They looked me up and down and clearly didn’t recognize who I was. One moved so that he was in front of the door and the other moved in front of me.

     “Sorry ma’am, but the basement is off limits for cadets at the moment for security reasons...but from the looks of it you know why it’s blocked off. If that meal is for Cadet Jaeger I will take it to him for you,” the guard said.

     “Actually, I’m Y/n L/n, and orders are that Levi and I are in charge of Eren, and I need to speak with him. So I would appreciate it if you let me in,” I said impatiently.

     The soldier took a few steps back before stepping to the side, moving his right arm out to signal the other soldier to move out of the way of the door as well. “I- I am so sorry Miss. L/n, I was not aware that you were…” he paused to unlock the door, “Go right in.”

     I nodded to the man and he fully opened the door for me. I walked inside and quickly heard a, “Who’s there?” that came defensively from a few cells down the hall. 

     I sighed, realizing that the basement was, in fact, a dungeon and not just a few tattered rooms as I had been expecting. Just as Erwin said, it wasn’t as poor as Eren described his living conditions at the courthouse, but still. I walked to where Eren’s voice came from and peaked my head to see in his cell. Thankfully, he was not chained up, just locked inside.

     “Well, at least you’re free to move. Things could be worse,” I said, making myself fully viewable.

     Eren, who was casually sitting at the edge of his cot, lit up at the sound of my voice and our eyes met. He smiled and said, “Y/n! I’m so glad you're here, I’ve only been here since last night, but it is so boring, and when the guards come in they treat me like I’m a freak, and it’s so cold, and I’m hungry, and-”

     “Eren!” I yelled out to stop his rambling, successfully shutting him up, “Like I said, I’ll come down here with you as much as I can so you aren’t so bored. Levi cancelled training for the next few days so we can pack, so now I’ll have plenty of time to be down here with you.”

     Eren sighed, “Well, that’s good, I didn’t know how much more of this confinement I could take. At least I won’t be alone. Didn’t Erwin say this wouldn’t be a dungeon?”

     “Erwin never denied it being a dungeon, he just said it would be better than what you were in before, and it is,” Eren nodded with a frown, I looked down and saw a gap at the bottom of the cell bars, probably to hand Eren food, “I almost forgot, I brought you breakfast.”

     I set the plate on the ground and pushed it through the gap. Eren stood up and grabbed it, going back to his bed, “Thank you so much, I was starving.”

     There was a chair beside me and I sat and began to eat my own food while Eren scarfed his down. “Eren I can’t wait until we leave for the old headquarters, at least then I’ll have you with me when I’m around Levi’s squad. They are pretty nice and all, but Petra just seems to hate me for some reason.”

     Eren looked at me with confusion and interest, but stayed silent, waiting for me to continue my story, “Like, I just don’t get it, I haven’t done anything to her, yet every time I see her she acts like I stole her diary or something. She’s a grown woman, why is she acting like this? Eld told me to give her some time, let her warm up to me, but does he not realize how much it sucks to be looked at like I am scum?”