Chapter 46

Y/n’s POV-

     As we rode out past the gate we were suddenly in the abandoned trampled town that used to be inhabited by so many before Wall Maria was compromised. The plan so far was the support squads on the outer layer of our current formation would take care of any titans that made their way to us through the town. Once we were out of this town the only thing we would have protecting us from threats would be the formation.

     Erwin’s plan for the formation was to make sure we encountered as few titans as possible so we would have plenty of manpower. If anything was to be spotted while in the formation, we would all shift together to try and avoid any fighting. It was a good plan, but we will never know how it will work until we get out there. At the very least Eren is here in the safest position and we can protect him with warning, nothing will come as a surprise if it does get this far in.

     The town around us was so sad to see, so many people’s whole lives were spent here and all of that changed in a day. I didn’t have time to dwell on the sights though, so I kept my head forward so we could get out of here as quick as possible. 

     “10 meter Titan ahead, approaching from the left! I’m extremely curious to know what’s inside its stomach! But I’ll let the support squad handle it!” I heard Hanji yell from in front of me.

     I looked to my left and saw the soldier didn’t cut the Titan’s nape deep enough. I heard Levi let out a ‘tch’ beside me, but our job was to march forward no matter what, not pay attention to the support squad make dumb mistakes. 

     “Mr. Oluo! Do you think they, mine and Y/n’s classmates, can beat the Titans in a fight?” Eren asked. 

     “Huh What the hell did you just spend this last month doing? Listen, kid! Outside scouting missions are about fighting Titans as little as possi-” Oluo began before I heard as he bit his tongue.

     “Eren, just stop thinking about them right now. Focus on yourself, this expedition is meant for you, so we need you at the top of your game, not daydreaming about our friends. Our job is to protect you so don’t make our job any harder, focus on the mission at hand. Our friends are strong, you know that, now stop worrying about it,” I shouted out so he could hear me over the sounds of hooves. 

     Eren was silent after that, hopefully he didn’t mind me being harsh, it is a serious time. Quickly after that we made it out of town, “Assume long-range scouting formation!” I heard Erwin yell. 

     People began to spread out around us and we began to fall back to our position in the formation. People wished goodbyes around us and we were officially off. Once everyone was in the formation I turned to Levi and said, “Ok, I’m moving to the back.”

     He nodded and I slowed so that I was following behind Eld and Gunther in the back of our squad. So far, so good, we made it out of town and the formation is perfect. Now to wait for the signals from the spotters.

     I ran through the rules in my head, red signals for Titans, black for abnormals, yellow for emergency, purple for distress, and green to show the movement of the formation so that we could avoid all titans and combat. All seemed well, except for the idea of an imminent arrival of our enemy.

     Erwin never told me who he officially thought the enemy was, just that he agreed with me on the idea that the enemy was working with the colossal and armoured Titans. Was the enemy among us? Were they a member of the scouts or did they just have an in through a different member. Regardless, there is a traitor somewhere in this corps.

     It was hard having no idea what to expect, but I knew if they were to show up, we would be trapping them in the forest, that’s all I really needed to know I suppose. After a while a few red flares came up here and there followed by green flares for formation changes. Nothing too extravagant, and it definitely was quiet here in the center of the formation.