Chapter 43

Y/n’s POV- 

     When I entered the mess hall for dinner, I saw Eren sitting at a table with the rest of our cadet friends. I took one more glance and noticed Levi wasn’t anywhere, he must be coming in to eat later then. I walked to the table that Eren was at and sat next to him, startling him a little as I came into view. 

     “Oh hey Y/n, you scared me a little,” he said with a chuckle, “How did things go with-”

     Eren began and I cut him off with a jab to his side using my elbow, feeling myself going a bit red. I didn’t know if Levi wanted people to know about us yet, and I didn’t even know if I was ready for that. I gave him a look that said, ‘ask me later’ and he nodded.

     “O-k then,” Reiner said, elongating the pronunciation of the words, “How have you been Y/n? Haven’t seen you all day.”

     Leave it to Reiner to be that big brother who is always worrying about all of us. I smiled at his concern and said, “Guess I just needed a little bit of a break, worked myself pretty hard yesterday.”

     “Well, we missed ya. So Eren, you and Y/n have been pretty close, being in the same squad and all. I even heard about her defending you at that trail you had, are you two dating or something?” Connie asked.

     I heard a loud thud on the table and saw that Miksas had brought her hand to the table a little too harshly. Her eyes were black with the shadow of her hair and she looked terrifying. She really was protective over Eren, I couldn’t tell if it was the mention of the trial or the idea of Eren dating me.

     “Walls! I don’t know how many people we are going to have to tell for them to finally understand that Y/n is like a sister to me! I would never date my sister, that is SO weird!” Eren huffed.

     “I mean, it’s not like Captain Levi would even let Y/n date that suicidal maniac,” Jean snickered.

     “What makes you say that! I think Eren and Y/n would make a great couple!” Sasha blurted through her food.

     “Again! Sister!” Eren tried to explain.

     “Did you see what that man did to me when I tried to hit on Y/n all that time ago! I heard he beat Eren to a bloody pulp at the trial! Imagine what he would do if Eren actually dated Y/n!” Jean argued.

     I laughed at their nonsense before saying, “Can we turn this conversation away from my personal life now? How about you all, tell me more about how things have been since Trost.”

     The crazed group quickly changed the conversation and went on about life before they arrived here. I casually listened to their conversation while quickly eating my food. I looked at the door whenever I would hear it open and the person entering was never Levi. I grew concerned that he wasn’t going to eat dinner, and who knows what his last meal was. 

     After a few more minutes I excused myself from the table and went to get something for Levi to eat, he said he was pretty busy with work, so maybe I could help him with some paperwork while he ate. With a bowl of soup and a piece of bread in hand, I made my way to Levi’s office.

     It didn’t take too long until I was outside his door, placing a light knock on the door to make sure he was there. “Name and business?” he said in a voice that made it obvious he was utterly exhausted.

     I didn’t speak, just gently opened his door and closed it behind me.

     “You weren’t at dinner,” I said, setting the food down on his desk.