26| Hiding

[ Hanyi ]

[ Hanyi ]

The sound of my older brother's voice makes me tear up. You don't know how much you truly miss somebody until you hear them again. It's been so long since we last spoke and I know he isn't neglecting me. He's just under a lot of pressure in running his stepfather's business since he's the only heir, so I don't hold any grudges against him because I get it, I really do. He used to be just a couple of doors down from me, playing his guitar while making up annoying songs about me, and now he's in another country running a business. 

"Hanyi, I'm sorry it took me so long to call you," He speaks softly, carrying sincerity.

"It's fine," I say. Sniffling and holding back tears, I try to keep myself composed. Because of Darren's protective nature, I have to do this since he can't fly over and fix my problems as he'd like. That would really bother him.  

"What's wrong, Hanyi? You're crying."

As much as I wanted him to answer my phone call last night, I realize that I would have created more of a problem. My thoughts and emotions were all over the place, and I could've said things to ruin Taehyung's reputation. He would deserve it, but I also had the responsibility of taking care of him for the sake of our family and I crossed that line. For both of our sakes, I'll keep his name out of my mouth.

"It's this boy...that's all."

"A guy? You're dating someone?" 

"No, we aren't dating so it's complicated."

"Who is it?" He lowers his voice, definitely getting angry.

"No one you know, Darren. Besides, that's not the point. I didn't call so you could come and beat him up. I called because... because I'm hurting and I want your advice on how to make it go away," I pause as I nibble on my lip, "Darren, I really miss you so much. I wish you were here for me because I don't know how to handle this stage of my life." 

"Soon," Darren promises me, taking a deep breath, "I'll visit soon. I'll request time off and come down to visit mom and you."

I sigh internally, trying not to hold him to that promise.

"That guy... what did he do to you?"

Use me. Toy with me. Lie to me. The list could go on, but I only tell Darren, "I can't get into his head and figure him out. I end up feeling stupid every time because he continuously plays these games...like an immature brat."

Darren bursts into laughter.

"What?" I grit my teeth.

"Oh, nothing... I'm curious, Hanyi..."

I grunt as a response. What could he be curious about?

"How's our new sibling?"

I sit up, my heart beating fast against my chest. Darren wasn't stupid, in fact, he was incredibly intelligent and I'm afraid of where he's headed with this.