32| I Like Attention

[ TAEHYUNG ] 

[ TAEHYUNG ] 

The surrounding sounds seemed louder than they probably were. Like the clock on the wall ticking loudly as I stared at it while chewing on my fingernail. In the kitchen, plates clashed and drawers opened as Darren and Krystal prepared dinner. And outside, the cicadas buzzed, their noise traveling through the open window along with the quiet conversation from the pair outside.

I wasn't worried at all. 

I rolled my head back on the couch, closing my eyes.

I was bored.

I must've drifted asleep, because the sound of the patio door sliding open startled me. Picking up my head, I watched as Hanyi and Jungkook stepped inside the house. I'm quick to analyze their expressions, my eyes traveling from one to the other. Hanyi's cheeks are flushed pink and she's chewing on her bottom lip as she always does when she's troubled. Jungkook couldn't even lift his eyes up from the ground, but he tried his best as he looked at Hanyi.

Rejection.

I relax back into the couch and close my eyes. It was too late for Jungkook. After what happened last night, he didn't stand a chance.

Hanyi's mine.

The kettle on the stove whistles, and Krystal pokes her head out of the kitchen. "Dinner's ready!"

Jungkook clears his throat. "I uh think I'm going to just go home."

Krystal frowns and narrows her eyes, confused by the sudden change in atmosphere. 

Hanyi rubs her arm, suggesting,  "Jungkook, why don't you eat something before you go?"

"Thanks, but I'm still full from earlier. It's getting late and I'm tired."

Without even a wave, Jungkook heads for the front door and with a mumbled, half-hearted "I'll talk to you guys tomorrow", he was gone.

Hanyi ran her hand through her hair, staring after him. Krystal continued to frown, looking at her best friend for an explanation. Before the tension thickened, I took a deep breath and stood up and stretched before placing my hands at the back of my neck.

"Ahh, my mouth is watering at the smell. I can't wait to eat what you cooked, Krystal," I smiled sweetly, trying to get her distracted with the situation at hand.

Krystal beamed, proudly pointing for me to have a seat, before running back into the kitchen to serve dinner.

I look over at Hanyi and see that she's stopped right as she was about to pull out her chair, still distracted.

I raise an eyebrow and duck my head under hers so she can see me. When she does, I smile at her.

"Pretty," I compliment her. She's always pretty. No matter the expression she makes, Hanyi captivates me.