Chapter 10

By late afternoon we start back home. The events of the day spin through my head, as I work out a plan for how much to tell Cassie. I want to feel her out, assess where things stand without scaring her off. It's the end of our second day, and fairly productive as far as accomplishing my goal. The rest of the week will fly by. It is necessary to stick to the plan.

It upset me when Cassie became ill on the boat. Not because I'm squeamish—far from it. My brothers spent a lot of time leaning over the railing of Pappa's boat when they were younger. At the time I feared it would set back the small amount of progress I'd made that morning, which frustrated me and made me second-guess my plans.

Of course, the water helped, as I knew it would. Our meal lifted my spirits a great deal. Cassie was animated and happy. And she ate like a horse.

"Why are you smiling? What's so funny?"

"You."

"Me? What's funny about me?"

"I loved watching you eat. You eat like you mean it."

"What is that supposed to mean? That I'm a pig?" Her face flushes and she folds her arms across her chest. Good thing I'm driving, or I'd be sorely tempted to haul my woman into my lap and kiss her silly. Talk about frightening her off...

"Of course not. Nothing of the sort. It was good to see you enjoy the food and not be picky about it. Too many American women are afraid to eat anything but rabbit food in the presence of a man. I like to see you eat well. Especially after being ill."

"Oh." A pout forms on her perfect pink lips, shaping them into an adorable little bow, and she sinks into the seat with a sulk. We sit in silence for a few moments.

"Cassie, tell me what you thought of today."

"Well, that's an open-ended request."

"I suppose."

She shrugs. "It was very nice, actually. Even the damned death trap of a boat of yours."

That makes me laugh. Cassie is getting comfortable, being more herself and a little less wary. Good.

"Well, it was nice until the Gods of the sea saw fit to make me toss my cookies. I didn't like that."

"What do you know about Njord and Aegir?"

"Who?"

"Those Gods of the sea you proclaim made you ill."

"Um. Nothing. Just a joke."

"Ah, I see." See what I mean?

"You're teasing me."

"Me? Never. So, go on. You were telling me how much you loved the sea."

She giggles, which makes my heart beat just a little faster than normal. "The countryside is beautiful. Karl's tavern was great. Yeah, I'd have to say it was a pretty good day. Vomiting excepted." Her scrunched brow tells me something else is on her mind. "Why did you bring me out here today, Gunnar?"

"Do you want to know?"

"Yes."

"It's a long story."

"I have a bit of time on my hands."

"Yes, you do." From the corner of my eye I see her studying me and I consider my next, carefully phrased words.

"The answer to your question is tied to who I am and why you are here. It's complex and not easily explained in a short amount of time. I can give you a brief introduction, shall we say."