Chapter 14

"Who is the woman down the street?"

While chewing, I set down the fork and weigh my answer. Because there is a simple answer. And a more complicated one.

"Karla."

"Uh-huh?" Cassie sips her water, eyes on me, anticipating elaboration on the one-word reply. "She asked about you. How you were."

"Karla is a lot of things. Mainly she is my aunt and housekeeper of sorts."

"Oh. That explains it."

"What does it explain?"

Cassie shrugs. "How she knew you. And that I was staying with you. You told her I would be here?"

"Let's just go with yes on that one. By now, I am sure you are learning everything about my life has two answers. The ordinary one and the complex one. The clothes? She obtained most of them for you."

It's early evening, the sky still bright. After staring out the window for a few beats I make a decision—and promise myself I won't second-guess it.

Tossing the napkin on the table, I rise. "Let's go. Get your jacket. The one you were wearing earlier."

Her brow wrinkles in confusion, but Cassie does as requested. When she returns, I am ready, my jacket on, to lead her out the door. Once outside, I waste no time threading my fingers through hers and enjoying the feeling. Wishing and hoping I'll be blessed to hold Cassie's hand every day for the rest of my life, my heart leaps.

"Where are we going?" At the end of the driveway we turn right.

"We're going for a visit."

"To see Karla?"

"That's right."

As we walk, I point out various plants and birds. We laugh when couple of red squirrels scamper across the road in front of us, playfully running circles around each other and chattering. Soon enough the front of Karla's cottage comes into sight. We pass through the small gate and up a stone pathway to the front door.

"She isn't expecting us. She might not be home."

"She knows we're coming, dove."

The door opens before I knock.

"Ah, Gunnar. Took you long enough. I've made tea for you and Cassie. I hope that's all right?"

"How does she know my name? And that we were coming?" Cassie whispers as we enter the tidy cottage. In response, I squeeze her hand and lead her to a round table, arranged with three place settings, near a back window that overlooks Karla's prize garden. It's bursting with an enormous array of colorful flowers and a sizable plot of vegetables along the side. Karla's green thumb is legendary.

"Please sit. Gunnar, I'm sure Miss Cassie mentioned our brief encounter this morning, eh?" Karla pours piping hot, aromatic tea into delicate porcelain cups with a tiny rose trellis design bordering the lip. For all her bombast and brashness, Karla loves her sweet woman things.

"She did, Karla."

"I must say, I was taken by surprise. I hadn't expected to see her quite so soon."

"Karla, perhaps you can help us a bit, if you don't mind."

Her gaze passes thoughtfully between us. Then, with a slight nod, she rises and leaves the room.

****

"Where'd she go?"

This isn't an ordinary, neighborly visit. That's confirmed when Karla reappears with a large book, much like a photo album, in her hands. It is easily a thousand pages long. The book lands on the table with a soft thud, her expression serious but kind.