Chapter XVII

Yo! The fic I heading towards an ending soon.

Moving on... 💃💃💃

"Words in double quotes" - Talking

'Words in single quotes' - Thoughts

Chapter 17 - Consequences

People gossiped. Ragini knew it was basic for human minds.

That's what they did to keep themselves from boredom in Adarsh's opinion.

That's what he said to her. To lay low until the incident was forgotten. That was the best way to not explain the events to anyone.

And true to say, after a few days, the firing and the events related to it was being slowly forgotten as another big news replaced it.

'To them, it's only a event that they would discuss over a cup of tea. But for us...for us it's a nightmare. It took my sister from me!' Ragini thought in misery.

"Ragini beta, what are you doing out here?" came here mother's voice as she came to stand beside her in the balcony.

"Nothing Maa. Just thinking over some things."

Shramishtha understood what must be going through Ragini's mind. She placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "Swara would have thrown a fit if she would have seen her sister so sullen."

Ragini removed the hand and glared before her towards the flowers in the garden.

The garden which she and Swara worked hard to make the flowers bloom healthy.

Now, Ragini was only reminded of the loss by it. So she left taking care of it. It only had dead flowers now...like her dead smile.

"Well, Swara isn't here now, is she?! She left us."

Shramishtha sighed. Nevertheless, she wouldn't let her daughter be depressed like this. She was the only family she had left. "Yes, she isn't here. But she must be somewhere, right? She might be watching us right now. Or maybe she has already taken birth somewhere else."

A tear fell from Ragini's eyes. "I miss her. I miss her so much."

Shramishtha turned Ragini towards herself and brought her into a hug. "It's okay dear. I miss her too. But we know Swara was a good soul. If we keep on crying and thinking about our loss, then it means we aren't cherishing the good times we spent with her. Why are we only thinking so much about when she left us? Why aren't we thinking over all the times we spent laughing together, singing, dancing, enjoying life! Swara was a blessing to us. She lit up the house like no one else. By always remembering her death, do you not remember all the good times?"

"I do! I do and...and that's what makes it harder to accept her absence."

"Swara is still here."

"Where?"

Shramishtha pointed at her own heart. "She's here." she pointed at Ragini's heart. "She's there. Her memories are in the room you shared. Her memories are in the table we ate. Her memories are amidst the flowers you worked so hard upon. But Ragini, by rejecting all of it, aren't you forgetting all the happiness she gave us?"

Her mother wasn't wrong. By only mourning her loss, it was as if she was disrespecting all the happy memories she had with Swara. Infact, her sister would never want her to fall weak. She would want her to be strong. She would say. "Come on Di! You're stronger than that. I'll be happy when you and Maa are happy. You both are my world!"

Ragini finally smiled a genuine smile and looked at her mother. "Mother, where's the watering can? I want to water the plants. They need to bloom again. Swara would be smiling more wherever she is if they are healthy. So, I must make them bloom!"