Meeting the Tortoise

Naruto woke up and opened his eyes. "Kurama.. did it work?" He managed to groan out.

"Yeah brat, you actually did it. You're stronger than the old man at this point." The fox responded.

Naruto nodded. He looked around the landscape he was in, looking for any sign that a massive chakra beast inhabited him. He finally spotted a massive cave that wasn't there before, and walked to it. He peered inside and saw a dark shadow in the back of it.

"Hey.." Naruto greeted the black tortoise.

"Ningen. What do you want?" The tortoise asked as he turned around, shaking the mindscape. Despite it's non-human face, it still managed to give Naruto a baleful glare.

"I just wanted to say hello and get to know you. I hope we can get along."

The tortoise unleashed a powerful sigh that created a wind that rustled the leaves of all the trees behind them. "Fine ningen, I will entertain you. I've lived for a long time. Longer than any of the Bijū that reside in your world, and longer than that retched Kaminoki that used to grow here. I am obviously a Genbu, I have a name, but I will not tell you for you are not worthy. Those damned Otsutsuki want to control my kind and recombine us into a disgusting amalgamation known as the Amenominakanushi, or the creator god of this universe. Now tell me about your hopelessly inexperienced life."

"My name's Naruto Uzumaki, I love ramen, my sensei, my teammates, my parents, and this world. My dislikes are the Otsutsuki, too. My ambition is to just stop the Otsutsuki from destroying this place, and when I'm done, hopefully free you and Kurama." The boisterous blonde responded.

The black tortoise smirked. This life form is different than the rest..

"Alright ningen, I'm going to take a nap. Being sealed is quite tiring, wouldn't you agree, fox?" The tortoise responded. A distant "shut up" was heard in the distance, probably from Kurama.

Naruto nodded and left the mindscape. He woke up in a hospital, hooked up to an IV. He saw the entirety of Team 7 and also Hiruzen.

"Naruto!" Sakura said as she rushed to his side.

Naruto groaned as he sat up. "Hey guys." He rubbed his eyes. They stung for some reason.

"Naruto lay down and relax you're still healing." Kakashi chastised Naruto.

"I'm fine, Kakashi-sensei. Kurama lets me heal faster so I can get back into battle faster!" Naruto said with an infectious grin. Even through everything he's been through, he still smiled as brightly as ever.

"Hn. Naruto, your eyes.." Sasuke said.

"What do you mean about my eyes?" Naruto responded.

"They are weird.. they don't look like anything I've seen." Hiruzen said as he gave Naruto a kunai.

Naruto looked in his reflection and saw that his eyes were indeed strange. They were like a golden version of the Byakugan, but with several white concentric rings in the middle.

"I haven't seen it before either, but it can't be the Rinnegan. It doesn't feel.. impure." Naruto said mostly to himself. Everyone in the room gave him a questioning look. "Oh. Since the Rinnegan is the eye of reincarnation, that means it is part of the Karmic cycle, so that means it is not enlightened and not pure."

Hiruzen nodded. "Interesting.. perhaps those eyes are related to the Rinnegan in a way?" He speculated while stroking his beard. "Naruto, what do those eyes feel like?"

"They don't feel like anything I've felt, I can't really describe it with words.."

"Then perhaps your eyes came from the chakra of that tortoise. Genbu, I believe he was called."