Rebirth

I silently stared at the strange object that fell from the sky onto the Balmera, shootong dust and dirt into the air. It was large, metal, colored purple and black with red outlines, and did not look friendly.

But when has anything from the Galra looked friendly?

My vision changed and showed me a dark flame outlined with a menacing purple. It was so filled with malice and hatred that it tore my focus away from the painful wails in my head.

"Oh, no!" Pidge said as the rest of the paladins geared back up for battle.

"Please tell me there's not a giant monster in there." Hunk begged as he not so silently freaked out, "Please tell me it's empty! Or full of space candy. One of those two. Either one is fine."

I rolled my eyes as my vision returned to normal.

"I don't think it's a piñata, Hunk." Lance said.

"If it's the same kind of monster that attacked us on Arus, we already know how to beat it." I hate to break Keith's confidence in this situation, but I had to.

"This is not the same monster." I said, confusing everyone.

"How can you tell, Phoenix?" Shiro asked.

"Trust me. I can tell with these kinds of things. This monster is worse than the last. Stay on your toes." I warned.

Nevertheless, Keith formed Voltron's sword and Pidge formed the shield.

"Hold your ground!" Shiro ordered.

A few ticks later, the capsule containing the monster opened. Compressed air hissed from the now open doors as they fell and revealed the enemy to come.

The monster was huge, just as if not, larger than the last monster we faced. It had long arms, a fleshy tone for the face while the rest of the body was black and red.

It lay limp for a moment, until its head rose and its metal eyes glowed green. It focused its gaze onto Voltron, once it had us in its sight, its chest began to whir to life.

A bright green glow engulfed the opening in the chest, then shot a bright green laser right at Voltron.

The laser hit the shield and pushed Voltron back.

"It's not candy!" Hunk shouted.

"And it's not the same monster!" Lance added.

"Phoenix, how did you know that this wasn't the same monster?" Pidge asked.

"A question for another time, Pidge! Right now, focus on the monster in front of you!" I shouted back.

Voltron spun and averted the laser, "We need to draw its fire away from the Balmera's surface!" Shiro said as Voltron charged.

But the monster was too quick. It leapt into the air and shot another laser at Voltron, hitting the shield and pushing them back.

Everyone, except for me, groaned in both strain and pain.

Voltron flew around and dodged the laser fires, they flew close to the robot and tried to alice it with the sword, but instead, the monster dodged and used one of its eyes to shoot a blind spot laser.

Voltron tried to turn to block the shot, but were too slow and was hit. We flew away but the monster still pursued, shooting its lasers constantly.

All the while, the wailing had become louder and louder. I covered one of my ears with my left hand and used the right hand to keep my balance as Voltron fought.

"We can't hold out!" Lance shouted.

"My lion is weakening!" Pidge added, "If the shield sustains structural damage, we're done for!"