Crystal Venom

"Mom? What was big sis like?" Kai asked, surprising our mother.

"You've heard this about your sister so many times, why ask when you already know the answers?"

"We just.... we just don't want to forget big sis." Ray answered in a saddened tone.

Our mother looked sadly at her two sons, thinking about their want to find me.

She sighed, putting down her book and facing her two boys, thinking about what she could never forget.

"Your sister, Solaris, was and hopefully still is, a very caring amd selfless girl. She always smiled and had fun with her friends, she even gave you two your names. She was so warm and loving."

"And what about dad?" Ray asked, "What was he like?"

Our mother smiled sadly at the thought of our father. The mention of our father made my heart clench in my chest.

"Your father, was just like your sister. He was brave, kind and put his family over everything else. I don't think I could've fallen in love with anyone else."

"Gross, mom! Enough with the lovey dovey talk!" Kai exclaimed in disgust.

The three laughed as the stars appeared in the sky above our little home.

Ray looked out the window and saw the night sky.

"Guys, the sun's down. We can watch the stars now." He said.

"Oh, yeah! Mom, it's Friday, can we stay up later today?" Kai asked.

Mom sighed and nodded, "Alright you two, but no later than 1 a.m., okay?"

"Yes, mom!" The two boys sped upstairs, past the bedrooms and to the end of the hall.

Ray reached up to grab a small rope above his head. He pulled it down, revealing a trap door and a ladder fell to the floor.

The boys ran up the ladder into an extra room. It was their secret base for stargazing.

It was actually really cool. There were star maps on the walls, plenty of drawings done by the boys, beanbag chairs, and a large tilted window showing the starry sky above.

By the window, there was a large professional grade telescope and a desk to the right of it with papers sprawled on it covered in doodles and numbers.

Ray immediately went to the telescope in front of the window and sat in the chair in front of the desk.

Kai went to the corner, grabbed a beanbag and pulled it closer to his brother.

"Anything?" Kai asked.

"I just sat down, bro? Give me a minute."

The two sat there in silence, occasionally talking over what they found in the stars.

"I wonder how far she went." Kai wondered aloud.

"Don't know. But wherever she is, I bet when she comes back, she'll have all kinds of stories to tell us."

~~~~

My dream was warm, but my body was cold.

"Do you think she's alright?" I heard a muffled voice ask.

"Calm down, Keith. She'll be just fine." Another voice reassured.

Just then, a soft hiss reached my ears and I felt myself fall, before being caught by familiar strong arms.