Greening the Cube

I sat on the couch, watching tv in the living room and seeing all the different kinds of people in the world.

They all looked different. Some were fat, some were very skinny and others were somewhere in between.

Some were very pretty without a blemish on their faces, while some looked somewhat unappealing, but still had a sense of charm in their own way.

They had hair of all kinds of colors, from brown to bright yellow to rainbow, but obviously their hair was dyed.

Although there were many people that looked similar and yet very different from each other, there was never a person who looked like me.

My hair was a natural bright red with orange highlights and my eyes bled from magenta to bright green.

I turned to my dad who stood in the kitchen cooking dinner while mom was at work.

"Daddy?" I asked. He stopped cooking and turned towards me with a smile. He always smiled at me with such kindness and warmth. It was as if he was the sun shining down upon me.

"What is it, Phoenix?" He asked.

I looked down at my hands, "Why does no one look like you and me?"

He gasped at my question, but smiled anyway, "Because we're unique and yet we're all the same."

"What does that mean?" I asked.

"It means that no matter how different we look, or no matter our relations or race, we are all the same, connected through an invisible tie that can never be broken."

"So, even though no one looks like us, we are all the same deep inside?" I asked, realizing and taking in my father's words.

He nodded, "That's right. No matter what, never forget that, okay?"

I smiled and nodded, "I promise I won't."

The front clicked and mom walked inside, "Kane, Solaris, I'm home!" My mom shouted.

I quickly ran up to her, hugging whatever I could reach and burying my head into her swollen stomach.

I loved hearing my baby brothers' hearts beating and seeing their flames grow steonger with each passing day.

My eyes opened slowly. I was covered with something heavy and warm. The room was blurry for a moment, I blinked my eyes a few times to clear up my vision.

I noticed the familiar surroundings of my bedroom and the drawings on my walls and desk. I smiled seeing the papers sprawled on the desk.

Wait a tick.... my sketchbook was open.

I got out from the under the covers and walked towards my desk, looking down at my open book.

It was flipped to at page where I had drawn a family portrait of us on a picnic.

I smiled at the memory, but my wonder over who opened the book caught me attention.

I closed my eyes and felt for any flame left in my room. There was a slight residue flame in my room.

Now, when someone is in a place for a long period of time, it leaves a sign of their presence, but they would have to be in here for at least a few hours to leave anything.

It was a bright flame that raged with courage and yet it held kidness and loyalty.

I laughed as I recognized the flame as Keith's.