|ONE|

•DANIELLE•
Dani

"The truth hides behind the waters Dani, thats where it hides

"The truth hides behind the waters Dani, thats where it hides." My grandmothers words haunted me.

It's been a week since my fathers death and I can't help but fathom how my grandmother who has Alzheimer's and barely remembers anything nor says anything told me this. Crazy thing is that's where my father was murdered. London Johnson murdered in broad daylight, found at 1:34 pm in the beach, throat slit, weight tied to his feet holding him down, bullet between his temple, eyes missing, finger cut off, and the middle of his stomach sliced open. And that's where he lied, in the beach, someone just dropped him there hoping the weights would keep him down.

Kids swimming in the beach found him. When I saw him I could barely recognize his face. Whoever did these things to him took everything personal. Hell I take this personal, especially because my grandmother told me the truth hides in the waters exactly a day after his death. She didn't even know he was dead.

"Danielle." My name was called out in the classroom.

"What?" I semi snapped. Everyone's heads turned to me. I could hear whispers, I could hear people talking about my dad, some felt sorry for me, others laughed.

"Just wondering if your okay." Mrs. Martinez said softly.

"Who are you the fuckin' counselor? Mind your damn business." The words came out of my mouth cold and loud. And clear. Some of the students in the classroom laughed, others gasped. She didn't hide her shock well at all but she must've not cared enough to send me to the principal. Maybe she feels I have enough going on in my life. But I don't need her pity. I don't want her pity.

I tapped my fingers against the desk waiting for the bell to ring. When it did I was the first out of the classroom. I could hear Terri my closest friend calling after me but I kept moving. I plan to make new friends, I plan to sit with new people at lunch, and I plan to ditch Terri. She brings back too many memories of my dad, times she's hung with us at our house, are dinner with us, chilled with us. I need to be around someone who does not know me at all, who does not care enough to ask me how I'm doing. Hell even someone who has no idea he's even dead.

So for one perfect moment, it'd be like he's not.

Is that so wrong?

I stopped at my brothers locker tapping him on the shoulder. "Damari can you take me home, I just want to go home." I whispered pulling at Damari's sweater I'm wearing. Today I just decided to wear a one piece, throw on some random jewelry, a tan sweater, with some tan converses. What can I say I just didn't have the energy to do anything today.

Mari's eyes met mine as he looked over his shoulder I could see he's been crying but he hid it perfectly. Damari didn't shed a tear when he found out our dad died, he just comforted us all while we did. Funny thing is London wasn't my biological father but he raised me and treated me as so. So I'd never disrespect him and tell anyone that. He was Damari's though, and because of that Mari felt he had to stay strong for us. That even though he's a year older than me and we're bother juniors in high school he still has to stay strong for both me and our mom. Mari is eighteen and I'm only seventeen.