Chap 19: Memories

Splinter's P.O.V:

My sons and I were in the vehicle called the "Party Wagon." Though there isn't much of a party going on right now. My son, Donatello, was telling my other son, Leonardo, where to go. Raphael was sitting across from me. He looked lost in thought after the call to April, so I asked, "Raphael, are you okay?"

He looked at me, "Huh? Oh yeah."

I gave him my "uh huh" look and he said, "Okay fine. I've just been thinking."

"About?" asked Donatello.

"Well, if Mikey is on the run, per say, and he'd been able to outsmart us this long, why did he suddenly mess up?"

"What do you mean?" asked Leonardo.

"Well, how come he was able to sneak out of his room and leave the lair without anyone noticing? And then leave Leatherhead's home without us seeing? Like, come on, Mikey knew what he was doing," said Raphael.

"Maybe he just made a mistake?" suggested Donatello.

"Did you not hear what I just said? How come he was able to do all that, but made the mistake of choosing the stealth bike over the Party Wagon?" questioned Raphael.

"Excuse my lack of understanding, but I still don't follow my son," I said.

"Okay, let me say this as simple as possible. Why didn't Mikey just choose the Party Wagon? If he chose the Party Wagon, then we all wouldn't be following him. He'd notice that the Shellraiser wasn't in the lair, so he'd know that only one of us could follow before we got to use the Shellraiser. So, as I ask again, why didn't he?" explained Raphael.

"Hmm," I said, "I think I understand what Raphael is trying to say. He makes a good point. Michelangelo clearly showed a lot of wisdom and advanced fighting these past few days. Why did he now just make a mistake?"

"Maybe he didn't," said Donatello, "I think he wanted us to follow him."

"But why? Is this all some kind of game?" questioned Leonardo.

No one responded. None of us really knew what to say. "Donnie, what time is it?" asked Raphael.

"Uh, it's 1:01 am, why?" 

"I just wanted to know."

We were chasing Mikey around for about 20 minutes now. At this point, he's just playing these games. "Oh, Raph, who's coming with the Shellraiser?" asked Leo.

"They didn't tell me. But I'm sending them our coordinates every 30 seconds."

And as Raphael had said, he was tapping his phone every half a minute. I was very proud of my sons. They knew what they were doing without me. They've really matured. It seems like only yesterday we were all mutated. But our family is slowly breaking apart. If we don't help Michelangelo, we may never be the same ever again. "Guys! He's stopped!"

"What! Where?" asked Leonardo.

"Just keep driving, we're about 15 blocks away," said Donatello.

Leonardo pressed on the brakes, trying his best to avoid cars and running red lights. "Leonardo!" I exclaimed, "Be careful!"

"But we need to get there before he leaves again," argued Leonardo.

"Yes, but you also have to realize that we can't draw so much attention to ourselves," I said.

Leonardo didn't respond, but he did slow down and stopped at the red lights.

'What could Michelangelo be planning?' I thought.