The Beast Below pt.3

*Tower*

Amy looks through a grating, where tentacles are flailing.

"Doctor, where are we?" Amy asked.

"The lowest point of Starship UK. The dungeon."

"Ma'am."

"Hawthorne. So this is where you hid yourself away. I think you've got some explaining to do." Liz exclaimed.

"There's children down here. What's all that about?" I ask.

"Protesters and citizens of limited value are fed to the beast. For some reason, it won't eat the children. You're the first adults it's spared. You're very lucky."

"Yeah, look at us. Torture chamber of the Tower of London. Lucky, lucky, lucky. Except it's not a torture chamber, is it? Well, except it is. Except it isn't. Depends on your angle." I say. The top of a pulsating brain is visible in the middle of the room, with giant electrodes pointing down at it.

"What's that?" Liz asks confused.

"Well, like I say, it depends on the angle. It's either the exposed pain centre of big fella's brain, being tortured relentlessly." The doctor replied.

"Or?"

"Or it's the gas pedal, the accelerator. Starship UK's go faster button." I reply.

"I don't understand."

"Don't you? Try to. Go on. The spaceship that could never fly. No vibration on deck. This creature, this poor, trapped, terrified creature. It's not infesting you, it's not invading, it's what you have instead of an engine. And this place down here is where you hurt it, where you torture it, day after day, just to keep it moving. Tell you what. Normally, it's above the range of human hearing. This is the sound none of you wanted to hear." I exclaim. The Doctor sonics a tentacle. They hear a screaming sound.

"Stop it. Who did this?"

"We act on instructions from the highest authority."

"I am the highest authority. The creature will be released, now. I said now! Is anyone listening to me?"

"Liz. Your mask."

"What about my mask?"

"Look at it. It's old. At least two hundred years old, I'd say."

"Yeah? It's an antique. So?"

"Yeah, an antique made by craftsmen over two hundred years ago and perfectly sculpted to your face. They slowed your body clock, all right, but you're not fifty. Nearer three hundred. And it's been a long old reign." The doctor says.

"Nah, it's ten years. I've been on this throne ten years."

"Ten years. And the same ten years, over and over again, always leading you here." I told her, there are two buttons - Forget and Abdicate.

"What have you done?" Liz asks.

"Only what you have ordered. We work for you, Ma'am. The Winders, the Smilers, all of us." Hawthorne says.

"If you are watching this. If I am watching this, then I have found my way to the Tower Of London. The creature you are looking at is called a Star Whale. Once, there were millions of them. They lived in the depths of space and, according to legend, guided the early space travellers through the asteroid belts. This one, as far as we are aware, is the last of its kind. And what we have done to it breaks my heart. The Earth was burning. Our sun had turned on us and every other nation had fled to the skies. Our children screamed as the skies grew hotter. And then it came, like a miracle. The last of the Star Whales. We trapped it, we built our ship around it, and we rode on its back to safety. If you wish our voyage to continue, then you must press the Forget button. Be again the heart of this nation, untainted. If not, press the other button. Your reign will end, the Star Whale will be released, and our ship will disintegrate. I hope I keep the strength to make the right decision." Liz on the screen says.