Chapter 15

Shayne:

I opened my eyes and saw the roof of my bedroom. That's weird, I could've swore I was out with Olivia and friends. Maybe it was just a dream. I rolled over in my bed and patted the other side looking for Olivia but it was empty. The clock read 8:30 AM so she's probably already downstairs making breakfast for Cheyenne. I yawned and rubbed my eyes before getting out of bed gingerly. I threw on a black t shirt to accompany my blck shorts and went downstairs. I could smell the bacon cooking as I neared the kitchen.

"Something smells good" I said entering the kitchen.

"Thanks babe, thought I'd switch it up today" She said and turned around.

When she turned around I saw who it was. It wasn't Olivia.. It was Courtney.

"Courtney what are you doing here?" I asked confused.

"Uh making breakfast...?" She answered tilting her head.

"No I-" I began but was interrupted.

"Hey dad, do you think I could borrow like 20 bucks?" A voice said.

A short blonde girl entered into the room from the side. She was currently decked out in black shorts, a pink tank top and black glasses to match. For some reason she looked like a mini Courtney.

"Uh who are you?" I asked.

"Shayne quit playing games, let Ruth have the money" Courtney said taking the pot off the stove.

I am so perplexed right now. I reached into my shorts and found my wallet. I opened it and grabbed $20 to hand to this Ruth girl.

"Thanks Dad" She said skipping out of the kitchen.

I stood in the middle of the kitche, trying to rack my brain to understand what wad happening. Courtney walked by and placed plates of food on the table.

"Ok now I have to go to work but remember you to pick up your daughter from school" She said giving me a kiss on the cheek.

I did the only thing I could think of. I nodded along stupidly.

"Oh I almost forgot, Noah and his wife are coming over tonight and Olivia might join us too" Courtney said grabbing a bag.

"Wait Olivia? Where is she?" I asked frantically.

"Uh at work? Calm down or you might make a girl jealous" Courtney said with a chuckle as she left the room and presumably the house.

I took one last look around before heading back towards the stairs. As I passed through the hallway, I saw all the picture frams on the walls. Instead of Olivia and I, they were filled with pictures of Courtney and I along with Ruth. The one where I had Cheyenne on my shoulders as a kid was replaced with one of me pushing a younger looking Ruth on a swing. The picture near the door of me kissing Olivia at the Grand Canyon was instead a picture of me kissing Courtney in front of the Eiffel tower. What is going on? I thought to myself as I neared the stairs. All of a sudden before I could climb the stairs, Ruth came quickly down them with a poster board and backpack in hand.

"Watch where you're going" She joked reaching the last step.

"Sorry" I said.

"Say, do you think Ms. Sui will like my presentation?" Ruth asked showing me her poster board.

"Ms. Sui?" I asked.

"Yeah.. My history teacher..?" She stated.

"Oh uh Yeah right" I said scratching the back of my head.

"Anyways I gotta get going or I'll be late for the bus" She said brushing past me.

I put a hand on her shoulder and stopped her.