XVIII

Tuesday Morning, 2nd of November

Amaya

          I watched as Christopher and his mother walked down the stairs at exactly 11:25AM, their faces held confusion until their eyes landed on the table of food in which I stood next to. Christopher looked up at me, his face had an unreadable expression while his mother smiled in delight.

          "You made this? It smells absolutely delicious." Joyce spoke, rushing over to the table where she took her seat. Christopher followed, sitting next to his mother leaving me to sit on the opposite side of them.

          "Thank you." I smiled, reaching over for the eggs as they placed whatever they wanted on their own plates. "So Joyce, have you come to stay here for any specific reason?" I asked, attempting to start a conversation and hopefully, a bond with the woman.

          "Other than to visit my son, no, I haven't come to stay for a specific reason. I currently live in LA so I don't get to see much of Christopher." I nodded, taking a bite of my toast.

          "So, does that mean Christopher grew up in LA?" I asked, making Joyce shake her head.

          "No, Christopher was born and raised in Tappahannok, Virginia but as soon as he finished high school, he moved out here to New York and once he started his lil' gang, he moved me over to LA for my safety, as Christopher said." She explained and I nodded as I listened, smiling at the thought of Christopher being so caring. "What about you, where are you from?" She asked, taking a sip of her orange juice as I took notice of Christopher's silence.

          "Oh well I'm part Jamaican, part African and I was born in Jamaica before moving to New Orleans and then here." Christopher looked up slightly when I spoke but his face held no emotion unlike his mother who nodded in interest.

          "Wow, so do your parents still live in New Orleans or-. . ." She asked, causing me to shake my head which stopped her before she could continue speaking.

          "They live in Jamaica, I moved here by myself." I said, reminding myself to call my parents later on to let them know how I'm doing.

          "Ah and have you visited them since you left?" Her questions kept coming but it didn't seem to bother me, whereas Christopher looked annoyed by his mother's constant prying.

          "Once, yes but I haven't seen them for around 3 years." This made Joyce's eyes widen in shock, a look that I definitely expected from a mother.

          "Aren't you planning to go see them?" She asked and I shrugged, not knowing if I had the time to.

          "Maybe. I'm not sure yet, I just have a lot on my plate at the moment." My eyes met Christopher's briefly before focusing on Joyce again. 

          "Um, how long are you going to be here for?" I asked, making Joyce smile.

          "Eager for alone time with Chris, are you?" My eyes widened at what she was attempting to get at while Christopher choked on his orange juice, turning to glare at his mother.

          "What? No. I just wanted to know how long you were staying." I rushed out, only making her smile wider, a giggle leaving her lips.

          "Right, if you say so. Well, I'm going to be here for 2 more days since I'm only visiting. I'll be going back to Virginia to see more family." She explained before going silent, the only sound being heard was the scraping of utensils on plates.

          It didn't take long for everyone to finish their breakfast and after a long argument between Joyce and I, I convinced her to let me do the dishes. Joyce was the first person to leave the house, followed by Christopher which left me alone and with nothing to do.

          I sighed, heading up the stairs as I contemplated on what I wanted to do in this spare time. I settled on watching a TV show, deciding that I'd catch up on 'Stranger Things' which I've been meaning to watch for some time.