Frost's Philosophy of Choices

Q. Referring to Frost's two poems, discuss ways in which he presents the philosophy of choices.

Frost's poem represent his observations. Whether his focus is on nature or humans, it feels as if, due to his experience he has knowledge of how things work. He is able to convey how people think and how they express themselves and how nature seems to land help in plenty aspects of life. He presents his perspectives in such a way that the reader feels connected to the persona regardless of their age or gender. Thus Robert Frost is able to present issues less talked about as well. The two poem that outline the philosophy of choices are 'Stopping By The Woods on a Snowy Evening' and 'The Road Not Taken'.

In both 'Stopping..' and ' The Road..' Frost has shown a path. The path in 'Stopping...' is through the woods filled with snow and past a frozen lake. It is described to be the darkest evening of the year and there is calm wind with snow flakes falling as well. These give us a sense of gloom yet at the same time a sense of calm, perhaps it is symbolising the calm before a storm and is foreshadowing death or perhaps the atmosphere is an indication that the persona is going through a hard time in their life. Unlike 'Stopping..' where only one path is shown, in ' The Road....' Frost has presented two paths, they are both surrounded by yellow woods and where they lead is covered by undergrowth, only one of them is displayed to look grassier than the other to the persona and thus that's the path he chooses. This gives us a sense of curiosity and the atmosphere is much less gloomier than that of ' Stopping....'. Yellow woods can be a symbol of changing season, perhaps signifying how this choice can change the personas life yet yellow can also present a sunny day illustrating something good in the persona's life. Thus Frost has, through colourful imagery, demonstrated that one can be faced with choices at any moment of one's life. Whether one is going through a good time or a hard time they are often faced by choices minor or major but Frost is perhaps also exhibiting how these choices can shape ones life. By depicting the imagery of changing seasons Frost has established that after making a choice ones life can change for the better or worse like how the persona in 'The Road..' may be at a point in his life which can be referred to as 'autumn' judging by the yellow woods and they may be moving into a tough part of their life as after autumn comes winter. The same philosophy can be applied on the persona in 'Stopping by....' if he had not been revealed to have moved on from the woods, perhaps he could have been stuck in winter or perhaps the bad days forever and missed his chance at seeing the spring days or perhaps the good days again. Thus Frost succeeds in allowing the readers to contemplate the personas futures based on their choices.

Frost has presented unique a contrast between the personas of the two poems. One is with a companion while one is alone and that perhaps makes all the difference. While the persona in 'The Road...' is shown to wish for a companion so he can explore both paths, the horse acting as the persona's companion in 'Stopping..' is acting as a safety pin. The horse is illustrated to ring his bells as if to ask why they stopped in the woods, as if to remind the persona that he is not here to stay; that he has a choice to move on with life. It is depicted by Frost that perhaps the choices faced by the persona are between life and death and perhaps his companion is the one keeping him from choosing death and reminding him to move on with life. The persona in ' The Road..' is shown to have to make his choices alone with no one to tread down the other path and let him know where that leads as to to help decide which path is best. Thus Frost establishes the importance of a guide and companion in ones life. He emphasis the significance of someone who can prepare you and support you while making important choices, someone who can warn you of what lies ahead and someone who can persuade you to go down the better path.

Frost has perhaps illustrated the predictable choice to be more tempting than the unpredictable choice that is less made and how regret follows close behind many choices. In 'Stopping...' the persona perhaps has two choices, live or die. If he chooses to die he perhaps believes that his pain will end but if he lives on he does not know what he will have to face. In 'The Road...' the persona is shown to be torn between taking the path seldom walked through or the one often walked through. The seldom used path, with its greenery and mystery, appeals him more but he is perhaps afraid of what it holds for him. Frost has also emphasises on how sometimes one regrets even the best of choices like how the persona in 'The Road...' is shown to speak of the road he took 'with a sigh'. Similarly the persona in 'Stopping by..' is later shown to describe the woods as 'lovely' as if regretting his decision to walk away from them as well. Thus Robert Frost allows the readers to determine that at times you may regret the choice you make and that is nothing to be worried about, it is human nature, but one should perhaps try to make the best out of a choice's outcome and be grateful with it for it is what shapes a person's life.

Through these poems Frost has taught me that sometimes what is happening may be happening in your favour without you being aware of the benefits it holds. He has taught me that sometimes a regretful choice can lead down the road to success. He has taught me not to take the people who guide and support me such as my parents, teachers and friends for granted for they are a prominent part of success that comes ones way. He has taught me not to contemplate over misfortunes for too long and try to make the best out of a bad situation. I have learnt that running away from reality is a bad choice while accepting reality and dealing with the situation at hand is perhaps the best choice. In the end all these choices shape our future and one day all the mishaps and mistakes that feel too hard to handle at present may become funny stories or stories of success we tell during reunions later on in life.