Northanger Abbey: Opening

Q. How effective in the opening to the novel and by what techniques does Austen introduce her characters and themes?

Jane Austen is an eighteenth century author who has written works based on her observations of the society of her time. This novel is her first and it emphasises on her perhaps accurate inions of the upperclass of Victorian Age British society. The opening does succeed in grabbing the readers' attention especially young readers' since it is mean tot be a coming of age novel. Austen presents relatable characters and themes that are effective in keeping the readers interested.

Jane Austen opens the novel with a series of comedic ironies. She introduces her heroine, Catherine in the very first sentence by guiding the readers' attention towards how at first impression Catherine can not be assumed the protagonist inducing a sense of curiosity that persuades the readers to continue. She introduces Catherine's family in such a way that we get the idea of their humbleness and probable good character. She depicts the father as a clergyman and mentions how he is still considered respectable and not poor, while also mentioning that his name is ironically Richard, that would perhaps give the idea of a rich arrogant man, this also foreshadows the theme of incorrect judgements of personas and wealth later in the novel. She introduces Catherine's mother and how her health thrives though she gave birth to ten children, usually women die going through this at the time. Thus Austen foreshadows the survivor's spirit Catherine inherits from her mother which we see shining later in the novel. These contrasts bring colour to the writing and catch the readers' attention as they perhaps find them humorous and interesting.

Jane Austen presents her heroine as an infant in the opening, presenting the picture of Catherine as perhaps her child that she raises and paints with personality and character. We are shown the growth of Catherine, her infancy, her tomboy phase, how her mannerisms change as she ages. This quick flow of time sparks curiosity to see how else Catherine evolves. Austen has presented Catherine in a comedic manner as well, readers perhaps find her mischiefs and disinterest in arts amusing especially with the way Austen presents Catherine's point of view on how the day the music master is dismissed is her happiest, how she avoids all her lessons and how despite her disliking she still tries her best. This influences the readers to feel sincerity towards Catherine and persuades them to continue reading of her adventures.

Austen further shows an immediate evolve in Catherine's character by presenting the readers with quotes of the books Catherine has studied. She quotes the Pope, Shakespeare, Gray, Thompson and more. This way not only does Catherine's character become more relatable and realistic, it also succeeds to catch attention of readers who have read the mentioned works perhaps giving them more reason to continue reading. Another effect that may be intended is to foreshadow the importance of books in Catherine's life persuading the readers to question whether she learns something useful from them or loses herself to fantasies created I'm her head by the very books she loves. In this way Austin also introduces the them of innocence by showing readers how naive Catherine may be to believe in fictions. It also makes them curious to know if she's going to overcome her naivety or not.

At the end of the first chapter, Austen point out a reality that may sound pleasing to the readers, that when someone is fated to be a heroine, nothing can stop her; however, it also foreshadows that once Catherine steps out of her comfort zone with Mr. and Mrs. Allen into the world, she will probably encounter obstacles. She would perhaps learn from these obstacles and finally prove to the readers that she was always mean tot be the heroine. She perhaps becomes one at the end! Such a powerful message succeeds to hold the readers' attention and the opening fulfils its purpose.