The Glass Menagerie: Title

Q. How do you find the title of the play an appropriate one for the issues it explores?

The title of this play brings prominence to Laura's glass animal collection and represents a window into the characters' lives. The menagerie is composed of delicate glass that reflects the delicate nature of Laura primarily. Laura is compared to them in Scene Six: 'She is like a piece of translucent glass touched by light , given the monetary radiance, not natural, not lasting'. This also foreshadows her momentary happiness with Jim. The title symbolises fragile glass, representing anything that is too delicate to survive in the outside world like Laura. Laura has fabricated an imaginary world consisting of the glass menagerie perhaps her attachment stems from happier childhood memories consisting of the menagerie thus her innocence is reflected by the glass and her tenderness is reflected by the way she handles them with delicate care. Since Laura is the reason Tom his haunted by his memories it makes sense that the title should be related to her, since 'The Glass Menagerie' brings up a number of her character traits.

The title represents the weakness of the time period and fragility of the economy it suggests transparency, special attention and care which describes what a family is and needs especially in the absence of a member in such trying times. The title also helps to bring forward themes of illusion and shattered dreams. Amanda is seen longing for the world of her youth and Tom is seen to desire a world of adventure thus much like the glass menagerie the Wingfields prove to be unrealistic. They each hold a world in their minds, with references to things that do not exist like Blue Roses, Blue Mountain and Malvolio, and it is too fragile to last, much like the glass figures. The glass figure's breaking during the fight between Amanda and Tom represents a crack in their relationship. The titles thus reflects how relationships are fragile and will break if not given proper care. Furthermore when Amanda leaves her children to pick up the pieces alone after the fight, she is seen as a reflection of the father, just as glass gives blurry reflections, she is in this way similar to him.

Title relates to life as well as the characters' weakening while, ironically, Laura seems to come out of her shell, her relationship with her mother seems to have strengthened as when Amanda is seen without speech, like seen through glass, she has 'dignity and tragic beauty' while she consoles her daughter. Tom too finds the courage to walk away and choose his dreams over the fragile glass-like life he was living in the Wingfield apartment. Thus we realise that glass can be easily broken but it can also be repaired even though it can not possibly be the same as before, this symbolisms how Laura broke the protective walls she had up, or maybe that she fixed her broken pieces and changed herself for the better. Glass is transparent but when light is shined upon it properly it refracts a rainbow, similarly Laura is a source of strange delight to those who look at her right and both Amanda and Tom can be sympathised with and forgiven for their selfish acts. Having presented this idea the title proves to be an appropriate one.